Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
A Barren Character

S
    Sidor Grigoriev

The gas station in the barrens has long since lost its shine. The clerk is dozing against the bulletproof plastic window. A couple of kine wander around the parking lot. For Sidor, haunting the Barrens, they aren't even on his radar. He watched money changing hands. Just another drugs deal. Nothing of importance to him, but still necessary to watch. He had made his promise that he would patrol, and he would not forsake his duty. The shadows on his face covered the distant expression on his face, as he strained against the perpetual hunger. But his will was iron. He would endure.

Jacqui had been eyeing the gas gauge for awhile on the trip home. Sure, driving 40 odd minutes minimum to get back and forth from the life of the city was annoying, but neccesary. This time though she was a bit flustered with the hunt for 'where in the hell do they have gasoline out here anyways?' mid route home. After stopping at one local place that had long since shut down, as evidenced by the boards visible in the dark at the windows, she found this place. A flash of plastic, the burning odor of octane... and here it was an active pump. Modern of miracle convenience... but little was convenient out here.

Sidor's head snapped up as he felt his Beast growling, demanding that he charge down the rider of that car and choke the life out of her. He hauled it back into its cage, staying out of the dim lights so that the shadows weren't obvious. But he moved forwards even so. Not all of the denizens of the Barrens were simple neonates, living outside of the city's eye for lack of tenancy rights. Some of them needed his own personal touch, and a little reminder of why they weren't supposed to be wandering the Domain without acknowledgement.

Jacqui herself was a little preoccupied with the task of hand. A gentle humm of some random song, but the sudden movement caught her eye. She was being watched here, but how? She looked straight at Sidor, as he moved forwards towards her, and tried to judge 'What the fuck is he about to do?'

Sidor stopped just outside of the pool of light, watching Jacqui. He didn't particularly recognise her, but that meant nothing. A strange Kindred could just as easily be a rules-respecting neonate as a threat. So he simply cleared his throat and spoke, his sharp accent catching at his words.

"Good evening. I haven't seen you in these parts before."

"Yeah, haven't seen you around either." Jacqui thinks to herself fuck fuck. She keeps a air of calm around her as she all too quickly unhooks the gas nozzle pre full pump and attaches it back to the pump.

"I often attend those little family gatherings in the city," Sidor said casually, watching her responses as she moved back to the car. "Perhaps you're looking for the appropriate directions?"

Family gatherings... Court. Ok. "No. Appreciated though. Miss Villiers is a friend, if that's what you mean." There. Perhaps an exaggeration, but that name drop should show that she's a member of court, and someone will look if she goes missing.

"Ah. Then you need not be alarmed. I wasn't aware there were many family members living out here. I'm surprised that I haven't seen you coming and going... but of course, one man cannot be everywhere. I am Sidor Rurikovitch Grigoriev," the Haunt added, the subtle knife of his voice becoming relatively congenial, if only it were possible to see his facial expression. "You are?"

"Jacqui, Jacqui Cotouri." This was a surprise... Phantom of the Opera out here in Banjo Town. "I wasn't exactly planning on company tonight, I don't mean to be a bit startled." Her left hand seems to be pumping out of some nervous tic, needing the palm of her hand. "You umm, watch everyone coming and going out here?" Her voice is a little higher pitch for this. Creepy...

"There have been a few problems with loiters as of late. I'm just lending a pair of eyes, Miss Cotouri," Sidor said, his gaze flickering to her hand. His head didn't move, his expression stolen by the darkness. "I'm only sorry that I haven't met you at a more stable place before. I doubt this is ideal for any sort of first meeting." He turned his head slightly, taking in the peeling paint on the gas station sign.

"Oh, no, it's fine. Some things happen, ya know?" she responds offhand. Her hands still pumps a bit, but it's slowing down, no longer opening the palm and instead flexing the muscles as the knuckles just bounce barely up and down. "Loiterers? Anything I should be keeping an eye out for?" Trouble close to home all too easily becomes trouble AT home.

"It seems relatively quiet tonight," Sidor said, with a very slight shrug. It seemed surprisingly natural. His hands slid out of his pockets, showing that he was holding nothing. "But it always pays to be careful in this sort of area, Miss Cotouri. One can never be too sure about how quickly a situation can change."

"Yeah. I try to keep my bearings out here." Jacqui's blankfaced and registers the shrug. "About those loiterers you mentioned. You talking about out at the Hotel?" Yeah, we're not losing that subject so easy. Jacqui wasn't letting any trouble happen this close to home.

"The Ridge Motel, yes. You have some connection to it?" The gaze flickered back to Jacqui's eyes, scrutinizing her. Sidor seemed to be an extremely still man, not moving unless he meant to do it.

"Been up there with" she pauses... Thinking of how to refer to this "The Flores crew. Had a big party up there, had to call the police on some guys who tried to crash and cause some trouble. Been waiting on the right time to check back up and see how those guys are doing once they get out." A devilish smile.

Jacqui's statement seems a mix of truth and lie as her tone lilts up and down. You could catch her tells starting right after the Flores crew as her tone shifted over to some sort of sarcasm, as if her lies had some sort of bad joke in them. It's obvious the rest is a fabrication... except maybe that part about checking back up on them.

"Yes, I would hope so. Flores takes a dim view of people... ah..." Sidor paused for a moment. "'Crashing his turf'?" It would have been easier if they could speak openly, but from her reactions, he doubted she would want that. But then, he wouldn't have gone with himself, either. He saw the half-truth, but let it pass, for now. "I work with Flores myself. It's on his mandate that I'm here."

Jacqui nods in response with a slight smile as her brow furrowed in memory of Anton Flores. "I see. How is Flores nowadays?" Her hands stopped pumping as Jacqui glances at the pump double checking the charge had gone through. We can stand out here a bit longer, but too long ad it'll seem weird loitering at the pump.

"That would entirely depend on who you are to Flores, I imagine," Sidor replied, glancing at the sleeping clerk through the plexiglass window. "It might be somewhat difficult to continue this conversation much further." His hand twitched very slightly, indicating the two kine and their money changing deal.

"Yeah. Well, I could give you a ride if you want." Jacqui offers thinking That should get them some privacy. She then takes a second to contemplate starting some sort of Kindred taxi service.

"That's very kind of you," Sidor said quietly, stepping towards the car. He moved consciously through the dimmer areas, concealing his face. "I appreciate that."

Jacqui smiles and loses the crease on her brow. "Here, let me unlock that for you." She moves over to the other side of the car, fishing her keys out of pocket to unlock the door. "Just to give you heads up, I'm going to grab something out of the back." I don't just give rides to the unknown so casually...

"Of course," Sidor's hands slipped back into his pockets as he leant on the side of the car, watching her unlock it and move around the back. He suspected a weapon, but that wasn't necessarily surprising. More surprising that she didn't keep it on her. Tactically, it was never wise to trust anyone, no matter how friendly they appeared, but it suited his purposes to assess those who had relationships with Anton.

Around the back of the station wagon, Jacqui pops it up and retrieves two arrows, and some kind of pistol, looks like an automatic. She does her best to keep the items in front of her, keeping them from view of the rest of the gas station, but not hiding them in the least if Sidor was looking at the rear view mirror. She keeps them at her side between herself and the car as she lets herself in, and puts both into the car door storage as she takes a seat retrieving her keys one more time.

"Any particular destination?" She asks quizzically

"The Ridge, actually," Sidor said, with a little nod. Inside the light of the car, his problem became evident, as the shadows didn't move in the slightest, masking his face entirely. "But there's no need to hurry, if you'd rather have a conversation."

"Sure. We'll get there when we get there." Jacqui replies non-chalant. She starts the engine and the interior lights flicker off. Well, that answers one question, probably. After pulling out of the run down gas station she asks "So, Ridge Hotel? You keep an eye on the place in case they return?"

"Correct," Sidor said, quietly. "It happens to be a necessity after the events that occurred there. I take it you were among the group of new arrivals to the Domain who were involved. Ah, and allow me to introduce myself properly; Deacon Sidor Rurikovitch Grigoriev, Whip of Clan Nosferatu." It got the awkward questions about his face out of the way.

"Jacqui, Jacqui Cotouri of Ventrue blood. Yes, I was there. I considered it prudent to take care of matters close to home." Jacqui looks to have a subtle grin about all of this. "It's quite a surprise to be giving a lift to you, Deacon Grigoriev. I hadn't expected in the least to run into any officials where there aren't city lights."

"As I'm sure you noticed, I particularly favour such areas," Sidor said in a deadpan way that was his version of wry humour. Normally, he would have made a snippy comment, but she was a Ventrue covered in dust, not some sneering Daeva. "I wasn't aware there were any acknowledged Ventrue living this far out. I assume you have not yet achieved tenancy?"

"Yeah, a fair assumption. But not the whole story." she pauses. "I own property out here. Nothing too fancy, a work in progress." Jacqui smiles. "I'd still appreciate the favor of any given Regent though."

"Fortunate indeed. A house built with one's own hands is so much more yours than any of these prefabricated things," Sidor said, his gaze flickering towards the buildings. "Buildings with character are much more interesting. As for the favour of Regents; all I can advise you is to serve the best interests of the Domain. As, no doubt, you chose to when you served with His Grace, Bishop Flores?"

Jacqui nods at this "Naturally. Not that it wasn't a prudent matter, but I have pledged myself to the service of this Domain and it's Officers. Deputy Greyson had called for me, and I thought my skills were suited to the task at hand. I hope you understand." The grin itself widens, it seems the conversation was stimulating.

"Of course. One must make one's self available to the Deputies when they call on you. And of course, if it furthers one's standing in the process, one can hardly complain," Sidor replied, the political assessment coming quite easily. But then, he was a political monster at heart. "The ability to use the skills you have cultivated is only a bonus." He paused a moment.

"And what did you think of our illustrious Bishop, if I may ask you, Miss Cotouri?"

"Bishop Flores? He ummm" Jacqui stammers a second at this as she reviews Sidors last statement. The question was a bit overt. She was being felt out. "He is heavy handed. I can see the need for an" she flutters her statement, changing her word as she speaks it "enforcement in any domain. I can't see him being popular in any sense of the word though. Then again, in older times, the executioners wore hoods."

"Said like a true politician, Miss Cotouri. Very wise. And you are right. Unfortunately, we cannot all be scalpels. Occasionally, someone must be a blunt instrument. Unfortunately, blunt instruments sometimes forget that real power is not won through the blood of a brawl, but long before the brawl has even had time to begin," Sidor said, his voice perfectly calm.

"I agree. I would say though that power is freedom, in a sense. Bishop Flores seems a little too focused on other people and what they'll do for him, than looking to himself and his duties." Jacqui replies. He's getting at something here.

Sidor's head turned, just very slightly. "What did he ask you to do for him, Miss Cotouri?"

"Oh. No, that's not what I was getting at. He is particularly demanding of individuals, including tasks that more grim than necessary. At the motel, what he sought to do was too far, in my humble opinion. I'm not sure as to the Sanctums position, but that was beyond any thought of humanity." Jacqui comes out smoothly. "I understand the Sanctum seeks to scare people straight, but to be frank, Deacon Grigoriev, that was a bit of a massacre." Jacqui poker faces through that whole statement, it was frank, a truth other than what Sidor was looking for, and she wasn't sure how he'd respond. Something needed to be said about that though.

Sidor paused. Perhaps he had simply miscalculated, and the Ventrue was shaken by an act of murder. Of course, that depended on exactly what had occurred in the motel, which he had not been present for. "The Spear is as many-faceted as most Covenants, Miss Cotouri. In general, we do not cling to our humanity as some do, but neither are we called to answer the Beast. We are not Brood sympathisers or Draugr. We do not revel in murder. We simply accept that sometimes, things must be done for the greater good. For example, a mortal who has seen a Masquerade breach might need to be killed in an extreme situation, but there is no call to revel in it, like a mad animal. Those who do have failed in their duty and their self-control. Does that answer your question?"

"I am just of the position that murdering drug dealers and pimps in such brutal fashion is unnecesary. Especially when there was no breach. I had to convince him to leave survivors. Drau..." "Draugr?" The distaste is apparent on Jacqui's face, recalling the motel scene. She was thankful she wasn't a direct part of the murders. At this point Sidor and Jacqui were on a rural two laned highway, bright headlights shining into darkness as the volvo continued on with cruise control, guided by her double grip on the steering wheel.

"Draugr. What happens to one of us when we lose ourselves to the Beast entirely. The place in which there is no route back," Sidor said. "I believe there is a more modern term for it in the United States. Please excuse my English. It is occasionally not perfect." His gaze flickered to the lights for a moment, and without giving it much thought, he leant back into the seat to avoid the pools. "Did he seem to be..." the Deacon paused for a moment. "Enthralled by the act itself?"

"He was determined to it surely. I had to sidetrack him into not killing the hookers. He tried to have me, and he had Arthur break a mans jaw to force feed them bricks of heroin." Jacqui shakes her head. "You should take care to look after others of your clan and congregation."

"Believe me, Miss Cotouri, to me there is no greater consideration, save what serves the good of the Domain," Sidor said quietly, his expression hardening beneath the shadows. "That is disappointing news. Very disappointing. Mr. Jones particularly..."

"Draugr, you say? I've heard of the concept in passing, but I'm not particularly familiar with it. You fear he's losing himself to his beast?" Jacqui looks over to Sidor. Pieces of a puzzle are clicking into place. Deacon. Serve the Domain. If it furthers one's standing.

"I was simply explaining the fundamentals of the Sanctified to you, Miss Cotouri. You asked me if it was within the constraints of the Centurion's Path, and I informed you." Sidor replied, his gaze not moving from the road.

"I see. One thing you will come to know of me." Jacqui smiles, and seems to lounge back in her seat "is that I'd rather be frank, and direct. Bishop Flores may well be losing himself. I haven't known him so long to make that call, but I don't doubt that if I hadn't directly performed as he'd wish, some bit of me would still be at that hotel, instead of driving you to it." While she's relaxed, she isn't smiling anymore. Jacqui carries a grimace as she goes over in her mind how thin a line Anton has put her on.

"While I'd like to continue to serve this domain, I don't relish the idea of performing for Bishop Flores."

Sidor nodded, just very slightly. "I appreciate your choice to be candid, Miss Cotouri," the Russian Haunt said quietly, watching the grimace on the Ventrue's face. "No Kindred in this Domain is to be treated like a performing animal for the amusement of an Elder. Such things weaken the city." Particularly not one that has proved himself completely unable to act with the slightest bit of decorum that should be expected in this situation.

There. Ok. We are on the same page. "What about you in your place in all of this? It can't be nice living in his shadow. Both within the Sanctum and your Clan. It's hard for me to imagine Ms. Lawrence in his shadow." Her brow furrows again as the grimace eases to congenial conversation.

"My place?" Sidor said, his voice sounding faintly curious. "In his shadow?" He almost sounds like he's considering whether or not he should laugh. "Miss Lawrence regularly tests his patience. That should not surprise you."

Jacqui does take the opportunity to smile at the thought of Brenn testing Anton's Patience. "I'm not the least bit surprised. I'd call Brenn a fellow soul at this point. I just fear she doesn't have the same tact I do with him." Her smile continues as she shakes her head and replies "I guess you could say I'm fearing on her behalf. Were you at our last court?" Jacqui looks to Sidor with curiosity. She can't remember having seen him.

"You would be wise to do so. Miss Lawrence is shaking a wasp's nest. When it stings her, it will be in part because of her own choices,"
    Sidor said quietly, and he nodded. "I was indeed present at our last Court. Although Miss Cotouri, I do not exactly possess a memorable face. You likely simply overlooked me. I had clan duties to attend to, regardless."

Jacqui chuckles a bit before she catches herself. She wasn't sure if Sidor's face was a sore point, or if he was at peace with his condition. "Then you may have witnessed Bishop Flores as he took to the Envoy. Particularly how he stared at Reeve Heinz as he did it. I countered Ms. Lawrence at court as she brought it up in public, and did it with what skill I could manage. It got her quiet, but I don't think Bishop Flores will have forgotten it if he witnessed it. She accused him of breaking Elysium." Jacqui had a few reasons for bringing this up... There were many details here that Sidor could grasp onto. Jacqui would learn something from Sidor, no matter which he did.

Sidor's hand shifted very slightly, and he nodded. "Technically, as a Deputy, he did not break Elysium as he could act outside it." He advised quietly. "But yes... I suspect he will not have forgotten. Which, if Miss Lawrence is your friend or ally in blood, might be something to advise her on." He internally cursed Brenn Lawrence for her youth and needless, pointless rebellion. If the girl would just learn when it was appropriate to shout out in protest, and when discretion was the better part of valour, she might well survive to become an effective ancilla.

"I agree, on one hand, and disagree on another. Both about Brenn, and the law. A Deputy is beholden to his Sherriff, and the Prince and those he designates may be exempted from Elysium laws. A curiosity that the Herald speaks with the Prince's tongue is, at least as I understand things presently, there is little to prevent ex post facto." Jacqui dwells on this a moment. "Ex post facto is a legal device or the mortal world. Something may not be made illegal after the fact, however in our situation, if say, the Master of Elysium were to agree that his actions were uncalled for and shouldn't be done, it is possible under our regime it would carry weight of the Prince's words. I'm not sure this would be a wise action though, to press that matter? Call it a puzzle that may have a solution. Regardless, he was also under direct order to let the Geisha go, before he choked her. There's obviously some resentment there." Today it seems, information and expertise is free.

"You have a legal background?" Sidor said thoughtfully. "Interesting. But I fear that Mortal legal principles are more applicable to a system which relies on checks and balances more than ours can do." His eyes flickered towards the lights outside. "As for Bishop Flores' relationship with the Reeve... Oil and water is not a violent enough phrasing."

"I have some background in political systems. That's my point though. Ex post facto does not apply to us. If Reeve Heinz relationship is so, perhaps the leaves three who could make that call. The Prince, who may decide as he wishes in any matter, the Master of Elysium, whose peace was interuppted and carries the weight of the Prince's word, and the Sherrif, who must keep his Deputies in check, and whose order was violated, and is tasked with keeping the law, I imagine with some autonomy." Jacqui's smile is now a full predatory grin. Her interests were apparent now, and it seems in welcome company.

"Certainly a fascinating theory, Miss Cotouri," Sidor said quietly. "Now, you are clearly an intelligent woman. Give me your opinion as to why, if this is possible; and hypothetically, let us say I agree with you; why it has not already been done."

"The Prince was not in attendance, otherwise I think he would have made this decision immediately. Herald Villiers is an idealist, much like Brenn. I admire this, but there are times pragmatism is needed and office is not a shield for abuses. Herald Villiers is also, I fear, afraid of exercising her powers as Herald, especially in controversial manner. Which makes her uniquely suited as Herald, and perhaps speaks a silent volume as to our Prince's choice in people. Reeve Heinz, I am not ashamed to admit, I do not know why. Two out of three isn't so bad. Either there's an unknown with Reeve Heinz, there's been two little time, or perhaps his relationship with Bishop Flores is compromised."

S
    Sidor Grigoriev

Beneath the shadows of his face, Sidor's lips quirked in a faint smile. "An excellent assessment, Miss Cotouri. I see why the Lords chose you. You have a grasp of Kindred politics quite rare in Domain newcomers." He nodded. "Herald Villers wears her authority lightly. An excellent trait in making the Elysium comfortable, not so appropriate when you need a decisive action. The Reeve is known for being withdrawn socially. And you are correct; the Prince's absence prevented him taking any action."

Jacqui pines in the glowing review, she's at complete ease here with Sidor driving in the highway nights. "The Reeve is the interesting thought though. Withdrawn socially isn't so much an excuse. Does he share the light touch of Herald Villiers? I don't know our Alder Prince well. Does he prefer a direct approach to this Domain, and so fills offices with those who are mostly afraid to act except where action is negligence, and so explain Reeve Heinz and Bishop Flores and their antagonistic relationship." Jacqui muses. "Or is he actually compromised? The easiest way to explore that option is how did Bishop Flores come to be Deputy. You have more history here, as well as a closer relationship with Bishop Flores. More of a relationship than I ever care to have."

"Bishop Flores was not always so unstable," Sidor replied simply. "At one time, he was a respected, if dour and cold, member of the Domain. And so he gained a great deal of power, partly through being the longest serving member of Clan and Covenant within the Domain, and partly because he had proved his capabilities in the eyes of the Prince. But those who crave power and gain it often quickly find that the fear controls them. The fear of being powerless, of being forced to go back to what they were before, of losing. It is not the first time a Kindred has taken power and found it to be maddening."

Jacqui's grin fades as she shakes her head. "That was my fear. Things earned beyond one's merit are fleeting, but he has merited that station, and so it won't be easily disrupted." Her smile returns though as she makes the point "Still. That shows the Reeve Heinz isn't compromised, simply inactive. He may be stirred into action, perhaps, or would be less likely to stir to action." Jacqui doesn't even let half a second pass before glossing over that thought. "Still, it begs the question of what now." Jacqui looks full back towards Sidor. It's up to him whether this is pressed further, or dropped.

"Sometimes, Miss Cotouri, it is the tinest of things that cause the coin to turn," Sidor replied quietly, his voice precisely wielded. The Haunt could use his voice like a surgeon could direct a scalpel, despite his curse that robbed him of expression. "The very smallest of things. Little actions that perhaps the person does not realise at the time. The decision to wear a jacket or a shirt outside. Whether or not to wear boots with a good grip. Whether or not to give away small pieces of information that mean a great deal more than the teller could imagine at the time."

Jacqui nods in agreement with this. She has a suspicion, but doesn't dare confirm it directly. "Then, on another note, I should add that the Brides are headquartered in a derelict firehouse. It'll be particularly dangerous, they will be armed. Vincent Street. I imagine, strongly, I'll have an invitation there. Some might consider it an opportunity of sorts."

"Noted, of course. I expect the Domain will be very pleased at your service, Miss Cotouri. In the future, please, feel free to contact me if you ever feel the need for a hypothetical political discussion. My number is publically posted in the Elysia, as are all Clan officials," Sidor said, with that same, slight, understated nod. For a moment, the shadows on his face seem to shift, hinting at some strange shape beneath that rippled and changed.

Jacqui looks back over to Sidor again "Of course. I'll send a message, just so you have my number. I am at the service of my domain." A sly smile crosses her expression. "I'll keep you abreast of the situation with the Brides, since you are keeping site of their operation should it return to the Ridge Motel. Speaking of which." The ridge itself is in view now, just down the street, the obvious reference to her statement.

"I appreciate that, Miss Cotouri,"
    Sidor replied, glancing up at the Ridge Motel. "I also appreciate the ride. Have a pleasant evening, of course." The Russian Haunt's tone is as casual as if they'd spent the evening discussing the weather.

"Anytime, Deacon Grigoriev." Jacqui pulls into the motel for the second time in her unlife. This time every bit as stimulated as the last. "Is there anything else I could do for you this evening?"
    "Not at all. Enjoy the rest of your night. The Barrens may be dangerous, but they have such character," Sidor said, climbing out of the car. He raised a hand in a polite wave of goodbye.

"Goodnight to you then." Jacqui replied. As she drove off in the night she thought to herself, Yes, yes they certainly do have character.

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.