"You really screwed up this time, Trip," she said, her voice smug, satisfied, and condescending. It was like honey and cigarettes. I used to enjoy it very much. Right now, with my eyes fixated on the Hollywood getting smaller by the mile in the rear view, the Beast wants to make it stop permanently. I look at the passengers in the back, and even though the Hound is hazy and indistinct in the slim mirror, I could swear he was staring right at me, the freaky Nos bastard. Missy, I could see, and she was staring, and smiling happily at her former Regent, and probably that sound I'm hearing was her giving the Hound a handy back there, but I'm too hurt to look down and confirm. Not that I need to, goddam hybrids. Whatever happened to cars with real engines? James Dean wouldn't have been caught dead in one of these tiny electric plastic toys. James Dean, how did we let that slick mother pass to the other side? Real oversight on our part, losing someone that damn cool to death.

"Judy, babe-" I start, but she interrupts.

"Dame Damiena!" she corrects haughtily.

"Right, of course, Dame Damiena," I placate, not rolling my eyes at the former waitress and extra-for-hire. "I'm hurt. Like, really. I'm in pain, babe. Why heap salt on? What did I ever-" She shoots me a look that ends that question prematurely. "Oh, right. Sorry about that. But, really..."

"Sorry? You're sorry?" Her foot slams the gas pedal to the floorboard and she laughs hysterically. "You lying, manipulative snake! You made me love you! You made me want you, want...this!" She takes her hands from the wheel to encompass the night sky, earning her a warning from Mr. Chuckles in the backseat.

"Dame Damiena," he says firmly, and she immediately apologizes and straightens up, the little brown-noser.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Bradley, it won't happen again."

"I sorry, Mista Bwadwey," I mock, and I knew it was a mistake as soon as I felt the thump on the back of my seat. I look down and scream, my dead nerves catching up to the pain a fraction of a second later. The pointy end of a stake was sticking out of..."my stomach?" I asked weakly, surprised.

"Indeed, Mister Trzebiatowski." He even says my name right, nobody manages that. "Does this displease you? Would you prefer I aim a bit higher?" I bite my tongue and shake my head 'no.' "Very good, then. Dame Damiena, I believe we're taken this insufferable mongrel far enough. Please find us a suitable place to pull over." Then he returns his attention to me and explains quietly, "I don't like you, 'Trip.' I never have. I never will. The Prince has allowed me to deal with you however I see fit this evening, though he wishes you not to meet your Final Death tonight. I have considered my options carefully and decided to engage my perversions fully upon your women, whilst you are forced to watch." I hear Missy and Judy shiver in anticipation and lust and fear. It would turn my stomach, if it wasn't for...well, you know. The car begins to slow. "The stake shall serve this purpose. When I have finished, if you have managed to keep that loose tongue of yours quiet the entire time, I will release you in time to seek refuge from the sun. Is this agreeable to you?"

Damn. What sick, twisted...it doesn't matter. What choice do I have? I nod 'yes' and look around. We're miles from the highway now, near an orange grove. I can barely see the lights of my beloved Tinseltown.

"Excellent. Stop here, Dame Damiena." The car stops. He gets out and beckons my Childe and former ghoul to him. The pair walk out in front of the car and begin dancing in the moonlight. I hear the trunk open. Missy and Judy kiss and begin undressing each other. They look at me, stuck to my seat, laughing, smiling, mocking me with this striptease. And then...then I barely manage to impale my tongue on my fangs before I say something to get myself killed, because the Hound is wearing a giant teddy-bear head over his face...

I can't bring myself to talk about what happened next, but I'll never forget it, not even if I live a thousand years...

And I will get my revenge, even if it takes twice that long.