Watch
51 - 60
DISPLAYED
The Spiral III

Page 6 of 25 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... Last

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

Rory grinned at the words, even as he stood a little straighter and a little taller. There was no greater reward than being the true instrument of Divine Inspiration, of being in perfect harmony with His Will. The grin was for the boss comment. It might seem that way, but he'd never seen it so. If he had to compare, he would reference an older sibling, or a parent -- neither of which he'd had, but it was as close to a comparison as he could ever think of. Guidance, inspiration -- words not usually attributed to bosses.

"Oh, this isn't over,"
    he said, becoming serious. "I'm just having a drink."

"And, no, and yes. I wasn't just giving you a line."
    The words ended on a questioning lilt, as if he were asking why she hadn't come back. He had the grace not to press the issue, continuing after a pause, "And I am really an Associate at Sac U. I'll just be... teaching... more than I was. It'll pay the bills."

He looked away from @Daysha Jackson for a fraction of a moment, and his mouth thinned slightly as he bit his inner lip. The first half of his life had been spent in a boy's home; the second half, in a church. He'd never really been alone, on his own.

Shaking his head slightly as if clearing it, he sighed, realizing there was still a question to answer.

"And I'm going to do what I've always tried to do: His Will. He has shown me this abomination for a reason."

Rory puzzled over the first words she'd said, about downstairs, and Alexis, but didn't ask. If she wanted to elaborate, she would. One thing he'd learned was patience.

K
    Kazakin

"They are. And I'm old enough to be your fuckin' dad, so less of that shit, please," Derevko said, with a wry little nod. "We both know you don't you mean it, either way." Like Hell was he going to put up with someone making fun of him. He knew what he looked like, and he wasn't about to buy that any woman bar Grace, who still remembered his old features, would be hitting on him.

"As for the incidents, I was just unlucky," Apparently that was the wrong question, though. The door pretty much slammed shut behind Derevko's eyes, and his gaze moved back to the drink. "Why don't we talk about you?"

D
    Daysha Jackson

“I’m sure it isn’t over.” If it was over, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. “I was just curious what you were going to do with your new found knowledge.” Cause we sure could use the help.

“I’m glad you at least are able to continue somewhere in your field.” There was sympathy for him in her voice. She wished it didn't have to be this way for Rory.

Daysha furrowed her brow slightly as she thought about reasons. “Yeah I keep wondering why me myself.”

There was some silence for a moment while she looked as if she was contemplating. Running her hands through her hair she then turned to Rory Gordon . “Do you have a place to stay? And I don’t mean a hotel, cause that’s expensive. If not, I know of some places.”

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine, thanks," he replied to the question with a confident smile. He didn't elaborate, that he was staying at the YMCA until he found a place, but it wasn't pride. He was OK.

Unfolding his arms, he spread his hands, then laced his fingers together as he spoke.

"It's natural to wonder why you,"
    he said, not correcting her about her assumption that he wondered. "You said something about 'fate'. He gives us opportunities. I'm using mine to..."

Trailing off, he frowned. The right words weren't coming, even if the sentiment was there. That, and he wasn't sure he wanted to tell her he was going to fill a Super Soaker with holy water and wear all the rings, necklaces, and whatnots with crosses adorning them he'd been given over the years.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha had no idea if Rory was lying. But she got the worrying about complete strangers thing from her dad.

Still sitting on the counter, she started to lean in and turn her head when Rory Gordon trailed off. “To what?” Her brow furrowed.

Sighing rather loudly. “Ok, I know you’re probably just figuring shit out. That’s fine, it’s a lot to take in all at once.” As she still recalled her nearly nervous... ok nervous breakdown on the phone with dad.

There was some silence. No, a lot of silence as she contemplated something. Daysha ran her fingers through her hair again. Fuck I want a smoke! She looked at Rory. “I’m gonna tell you why I’m doing this and part of this stems back to confession.” Since apparently I have to fess up first... "When someone you love is threatened by forces unknown, you want to take action against that particular thing. Then when you step back and realize there is a bigger picture and there are others threatened by the same pieces of shit that wander our streets bleeding people out or just killing them because they were hungry and wanted a bit of fun. That is what I am doing this for.” Her finger pointing to the ground to make, well a point. She took a slow breath. “So when I said I sought vengeance against something, that’s what I was talking about. Does it make it right? Probably not. But when these damned things endanger someone I love, I don’t give a flying fuck.” Her words may have been terse, but she wasn’t angered or yelling. It was stuff she’d already went through in her head a million times.

Daysha looked at him.... and waited. For either a response or explanation. Or she just completely over-fucking-whelmed him and he was going to flip-the-shit-out and run screaming from the bar. Oh well, she still had Alexis Kane .

"Jesus, why is everybody so uptight," Lexi said with a sigh of exasperation, relaxing back into the booth. She took another drink, using the moment to study Derevko, and then wondered if she should have gotten something stronger than beer. She shrugged, letting out a practiced, clipped laugh, and gestured at Derevko with her free hand. It wasn't like the night could get much worse...

"Go ahead then, John, feel free to ask away. It's not my favorite subject, surprisingly, but since you were kind enough to tell me about yourself, I'll do the same. I'll even do it in candid detail, how does that sound."

K
    Kazakin

Maybe 'cause in your case, you ask fucking personal questions and think that it's cute? You think I don't get this shit every time I walk outside with this face? 'Mommy, why does that man look so weird?' 'It's probably drugs, sweetie, stay away. He's a bad man.' Fuck you all, I got these scars protecting your dumb asses. Derevko thought, wishing he hadn't bothered to come out tonight. He shrugged. His small talk was very limited.

"Call me Derevko. Everyone does," the scarred Agent said, hoping it would stop the 'John'. God, he hated that name. Among many, many other things. "So, since we're being candid. Day job, night life?"

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Rory's brow furrowed slightly as Daysha Jackson finally broke the silence. Maybe it was the vulgar language... maybe it was because he was trying to empathize.

It was a lot to take in, especially trying to remember what all she'd said back during Confession; specific words, the things that went unsaid.

"Sometimes what you should do and what you want to do intersect,"
    he offered, raising an eyebrow. "Because, yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Fulfill my purpose, and be an instrument of His Will."

They could take his collar, but not his Faith.

He unlaced his fingers, spreading his hands, and clarified.

"I'm going to go kill that thing."

D
    Daysha Jackson

Did he just? Did I hear him say?? Kill???

Daysha nearly fell off the counter when he said he uttered those words. “Ya know if you know where the thing is I can certainly help you with that. Do you even have anything to kill it with?” She furrowed her brow. “Not to be insulting but do you have any sort of uh I don’t know; tools to kill it?”

Thinking for another moment then looking at Rory Gordon . “Do you think that maybe this is your calling? I know first hand callings can change." Like from cop, to mom and now creature killer...

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Rory had wondered if there was a method to this all; that perhaps the Church had exorcists aplenty, but not those equipped to handle other things. Ultimately, it didn't matter.

"I... think I've been shown something that needs to be taken care of. My calling is to follow His Will, and this is what I've been given to do. Maybe that will change. Maybe I will be shown something else... I don't know,"
    he said, trying to answer her question.

"I believe in providence, and when we're told that God provides, that's not just mana from heaven -- sometimes it's a purpose."

His speech pattern was slightly different, a bit faster, less smooth; he was speaking of himself to Daysha Jackson rather than any practiced sound bite as a priest.

"And, uh, hopefully that includes providing the means,"
    he grinned. "Crosses and holy water, I've got or can get."

Page 6 of 25 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.