Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Emergency Soverign Meeting

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Katrin remained polite as ever. "Spartan, we use fae magic to protect the freehold. On earth that is not limitless. There are always limits. What I think the crown is saying is; The seasons can not go spring, summer, summer, autumn, winter." Katrin looks to Rick.

"That would break the pledge right? The wyrd still sees Rust as King for now as he was the one who was crowned. Passing the crown to Spartan would be a second Summer season and not within the agreed seasonal rota?"She paused again and looks back to Spartan.

"Although I can see two possible ways to change that situation so that it recognises Spartan. Both are not possibilities, Spartan will have to remain Ascendant Sovereign in title and wait until next year to wear the crown ."

"I would like to point out that Alice and I have never had the crown control us or make decisions for us. Alice herself said it gave her advice. I do not think that is the same as controlling or restricting. It was up to Alice if she took that advice. I understand your frustration Spartan. But just remember we use the Gentry's own systems to protect the freehold. There are going to be limits. Not unless you are suggesting we do away with the crown, the freehold and the protection it offers."
    Matt - Werewolf Storyteller
    Pronouns: He/ Him

Alice White

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I agree with Katrin," Alice said looking to the woman. "I think this is getting blown rather out of proportion. No one is asking you to sacrifice animals, present offerings, and then worship the silly thing. Ignore it if you don't like what it has to say. The crown has never told me what to do and what decisions to make, I've been perfectly free to screw all that up on my own thank you very much. The only reason it spoke up now is because it could have possibly effected the freehold pledge had we tried to crown spartan or another."

"And we do have limits as sovereigns, Rust pushed past his and look what happened. He may have been technically within his right to do so, but he pushed too far beyond what the freehold was willing to accept and one man or woman can't stand alone again everyone without any support. The fact of the matter is that while we may have escaped from Arcadia and our keepers, we as lost have chosen to use the magic of our new found heritage to our advantage against the gentry. Fight fire with fire. So as long as that is the case we are bound by the very nature of the wyrd and the magic just as the gentry are bound by their very natures. It is why we are safe in this city right now. One might as well spit into the wind and not expect to get wet. You just end up looking silly and then get wet."

"Now am I saying that the freehold pledge is perfect and shouldn't be changed? No. I'm just saying we can't do anything about it at this time, not without more knowledge about such things. Remember we serve and protect the freehold, not dictate our own whims and desires on everyone else. I for one don't support the establishment of a New Arcadia in Sacramento. Otherwise how are we different than our keepers were?"

L

"Summer Summer is one way to look at it, if you measure the passing of Seasons by the passing of the Crown. And if it was strictly basing it off that it wouldn't be that much of an issue, as we could always keep an Ascendant Sovereign on the throne. But things seem to be measured by both the passing of the crown and the current season in the world, which is a problem. Because it leads to situations like this, where the Freehold's protections are weakened for three months until we can pass the crown again. That's what we need to fix. Even if we can't do it right this moment we need to start looking into how to do it in the future so we're not vulnerable like this again. Because it should be the Changelings of the Ascendant Court, not the crown itself, that gets to decide who's fit to wear it."

S
    Spartan

"This is not about my whims, and to be frank, this is not about a crown being placed on my head. This is about the safety of the Hold." The Hoplite says with an air of unhappiness.

"I agree with my esteemed brother of the Autumn Court. We, the people, should make such decisions. Not the crown. And we should not allow ourselves to become weakened if a soverign falls or is found unworthy. There should be some other choice. Perhaps one of the Dawn or Dusk should be able to step in as Interim. This is not the first time I have brought this idea. I still feel it is valid. And there are few who have proven there loyalty like Nightfall." Spartan says taking a stine of beer.

"I am afraid of the consequences should such a route be taken, King Spartan."

The voice, belonging to an elderly female, comes from the doorway. It sounds weak and feeble and without conviction. The woman, well known to the freehold, leans heavily on a cane, hunched over in the wake of the swirling mantles of the Seasonal Courts. Wearing a heavy coat that is buttoned up to her chin and a scarf wrapped around her neck, Gianna looks through the huge spectacles at the Kings and Queens of Sacramento's freehold. With a mighty effort, she bows, her wild white hair looking as shocking as ever.

"I am sorry for intruding, your Majesties. May I be so bold as to join your discussion?" the Wizened asks, still bent over.

S
    Spartan

"Come, Join us." Spartan says standing for the Elderly Wizened to join the table. "Your insight Madam Gianna would be appreciated." Spartan says.

Alice White

+1
    SL
    PRE

Alice nodded to Gianna as she asked to join them. She might not trust this woman's motives or schemes but she would at least hear her out. Once that was done she turned back to the other sovereigns to continue their discussion.

"Now I mean no disrespect to our colleagues of Summer or the position of the ascendant sovereign, but how exactly does Spartan not having a crown on his head weaken the freehold in any significant way? Is it an irritant? Certainly. Is it a risk that if two seasons are missed there might be trouble? Again, yes. But, the entire freehold saw Spring turn over the crown to summer and the seasons changed. Summer itself was the one that insisted Rust step down. But the freehold will see summer as the rightful rulers at this time and I don't see anyone causing significant problems over the lack of a crowned king. The people will listen and that's what matters. It isn't like we get a host of significant powers that are vital to ruling when we get a crown, so not having a crown shouldn't reduce Summer's ability to lead as long as their representative does so," Alice finished gesturing to Spartan for effect.

L

It appears that you plan to either way. "Of course." Though, was it just him, or did Gianna seem older since last time he'd seen her...more frail?

"And having Nightfall serve as a Steward, of sorts, might prove problematic due to his affiliations. One of the reasons the Courts protect us in the way they do is because they represent an eternal and ever-changing cycle that the Fae cannot properly comprehend. Crowning someone of Dusk, Dawn, Night, Day, North, East, South, or West could potentially break that cycle and the protection it offers more surely than going without a crowned Monarch for a season."

Then he turned to address Alice. "And it's a problem because, despite having a Sovereign recognized by the general populace we do not have one mystically recognized by the Pledge and Crown. Which weakens the protection the Pledge provides us."

Gianna stands, slowly and leans heavy on the cane with each step until she reaches her seat and sits down with a heavy thud, with far more weight than she actually shows. Placing the cane across her lap, the Wizened crosses her hands on the table as she listened in turn to each Sovereign. She holds up a hand before asking a question. "What exactly did the crown say at the festival?"

S
    Spartan

"The Crown asked where Rust was going." Spartan says relaying information to Gianna.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread