Anasztaz Veres
    Nosferatu, Ordo Dracul

Blood Potency ••
    Striking Looks ••
    Status (Ordo Dracul) ••

Melaine
    Beast (Hunterheart)

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned."

The watch at the confessional had been slow, but not because a lack of sin. Sin had just become more common, more acceptable, there was less regret and less guilt. The trend wouldn't likely change, only the really desperate came to speak up the toils that hindered their souls.

The voice at the other side of the wooden mesh was desperate so, quivering and nervous, like that of someone who would need mental more than spiritual guidance although definitely a share of both. His breath stank, but not like the drunks that sometimes came when they found the need for forgiveness at the bottom of a bottle, this one rank with the bittersweet taste of rot.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Status ••• (Academics) Theology Doctorate

The smell made Rory want to vomit. The hem of his cassock swayed across his shoes as he hunched over, like some oily tide over Scottish eggs.

He rubbed at a tender, razor-burned cheek, then at his eyes as he straightened.

One of these days he was going to quit lying about being Irish so people would see how much it took to get him drunk.

The voice made him wonder what petty theft the man would admit to, what he'd done to keep greasing the wheels of his existence with whatever his drug of choice was.

"We are all sinners, and absolution through His Grace will come after we speak,"
    he replied softly, his burr barely touching his words.

"How long has it been since your last confession?"

Or bath?

Melaine
    Storyteller
    Anasztaz Veres
    Nosferatu, Ordo Dracul

Blood Potency ••
    Striking Looks ••
    Status (Ordo Dracul) ••

Melaine
    Beast (Hunterheart)

There is a moment of hesitance and a whispered string of words that are unintelligible but could be guessed to be a count. The counting ceases and there is another few seconds of pause.

"Too long, too long. I don't remember." the man says with a hint of panic, or perhaps fear. If he had been shooting, there was the distinct possibility he was still under the effect of whatever it was. It would at least explain why he sounded so erratic.

"I am sorry."

The latter had sounded pleading, but tinged with the same hue of distress.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Sometimes you got your average drunk stumbling in for his monthly confession; motivated by the insistence of a stranger, or their own shame. Or maybe they noticed a new lump and came out of fear -- a desperate attempt to get right before they were consumed by cancer, or bird flu, or whatever the scare of the week was.

And sometimes you got someone who sounded desperate for a glimmer of the light again.

"But you're here, and that's what important,"
    Rory replied, discarding the thought of a joke to calm the man.

"It's no easy thing, and the longer we go without Him in our lives, the easier it is to convince ourselves that we can continue to do so."

Taking a breath, he rolled the dice.

"Tell me the sins which have brought you here."

Melaine
    Storyteller
    Anasztaz Veres
    Nosferatu, Ordo Dracul

Blood Potency ••
    Striking Looks ••
    Status (Ordo Dracul) ••

Melaine
    Beast (Hunterheart)

"I have let too many things happen. I have helped, I didn't even try to stop."

His voice was breaking down further the more he spoke. He was in the verge of crying now, his breath was staggered. That he struggled with it and forced air in and out of his lungs only made the stench of his breath the worse within the small confines of the wooden room.

"I have tasted human flesh."

He was unraveling, having no wish to keep his memories in his mind any more. He needed to voice them to someone for some respite, so they wouldn't continue to wreak tears through his mind like a bullet trapped inside the skull.

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

Rory's hand went up to his collar as a instinctive reaction, both touching the white tab and tugging at the starched material that suddenly seemed too confining. They tell you that this will happen; that men will confess to atrocities which under any other circumstance would have one dialing the police.

But they meant petty things; robbery, murder. Not things that men refused to whisper about; instead, brief, furtive glances exchanged between men who knew and secret from men who did not.

A sticky trail of sweat ran down his temple and cheek as he considered the possibility that the man was here to commit suicide, and might want company. He loved the Lord as much as the next priest, but he was fairly certain he'd be pissed if his last moments were spent sweating in a box next to Hannibal Lector.

"This is a grave thing you speak of,"
    he replied. "But not unforgivable." Please don't shoot me.

"How did this come to pass?"
    And why haven't you brushed since?

Rory slowly eased his phone out. He may be acting as the person of Christ for the sacrament of penance, but Christ was also blessed with Resurrection.

Melaine
    Storyteller
    Anasztaz Veres
    Nosferatu, Ordo Dracul

Blood Potency ••
    Striking Looks ••
    Status (Ordo Dracul) ••

Melaine
    Beast (Hunterheart)

"I don't know... I just-" he gasped through his teeth, sounded like a hiss. There was no doubt there were tears burning down the man's feverish cheeks now. He sniffed them back between words.

"It is her. You cannot say no to her. You really can't. She pulls you in and then you cannot think of anything else."

For better or worse there were steps outside. They sounded close, but then drifted away. The still echoed in the small church and sounded to be in the direction of the way out.

"I won't make it past tonight, she will know. You have to forgive me!"

Rory Gordon
    Rory Gordon

"She...?"

Rory didn't have time to ask who was the other party in the Bonnie & Clyde meet American Psycho. Instead, he wrestled with the dilemma of whether or not to chase the man. After all, that breath was deadly. The words themselves were unimportant; while his sinner seemed remorseful, he certainly didn't seem like he was stopping any time soon.

"Bythnia,"
    Rory swore, opening the door and ready to give chase.

Closed Thread