Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
As the World Falls Down

D
    Daysha Jackson

It was Friday night. Daysha just got Aaron to bed after the incident with the thing, vampire or whatever the hell it was with the teeth. He was scared and excited all at the same time. After finally convincing him it was just a local neighbor boy playing a sick prank, he finally went to sleep. Aaron wanted so bad to go find the “dude.” Hopefully over the weekend Aaron would forget. Daysha, however, wouldn’t.

Darrin was out that night, she had no one to talk to as she paced the kitchen. The last few years started flashing in her mind. The unsolved cases, the odd murders or bodies found. She looked at her watch, she took a chance that her dad was still up, so she pulled out her phone and called.

Yawning her mom said, “Uh, hello?” And at the same time her dad answered another phone. “Hello kiddo. Debbie, you can go back to sleep.” Dad loved caller ID.

“Hey Mom. Hi dad, sorry to call so late.” She waited till her mom hung up the other phone. “Are you busy or on your way to bed?”

“Naaa, I was just watching some tube. What’s bothering you sweety?” Her dad always had this way of knowing, not to mention, she never called this late.

“Okay dad, something happened tonight. How much weird shit did you see when you were a cop.” She asked, mostly remaining calm.

He laughed a little, “Honey, I told you all those stories when you were in the Academy, why would you want to hear them again?”

“I don’t mean those stories.” She was having a hard time trying to phrase it. “I mean the ones where… uh.” She paused again. “You know the ones where you may have personally researched the cases?”

"What are you talking about?" Doug asked.

"You know, some of those weird cases. Or the cold cases you had in stacks on your desk." Daysha was trying to find the right words.

Doug chuckled slightly, "Honey, what are you getting at? There are always weird cold cases, every cop and detective comes across them. You should know that by now."

She started again, “Ugh damn it, dad have you ever seen a vampire?” She couldn’t believe she just blurted it out, but given the circumstances she didn’t try to fight it.

Doug had his one of the most serious tones she’s ever heard. “Tell me why you’re asking me about this?”

One thing about Doug Jackson, he was a good listener. “Okay dad, I hope you’re ready for this.”

“So tonight I let Aaron walk to his buddy Ben’s house by himself. Of course, I followed him, like you use to do with me. I hadn’t been home from a case long when he had to go, I didn’t change or anything so I still had gear on.” She paused, she heard him breathe in the phone tersely, indicated he was already upset when Aaron’s name came up. “So, I was about a block and a half away. He was in my sight the whole time. Ben doesn’t live more than six blocks away.”

She staggered a bit before she said the next part. “So while I was walking, I kept having this weird feeling. Like ice or something running down my back. I’ve had the feeling before, many times. I started looking around in yards and whatnot. Then I heard Aaron scream.” She started talking faster, while she relived the moment. “Dad, I don’t think I’ve run that fast in my life.” She was shaking as she leaned against the counter.

As Daysha continued, her panic and fear surfaced in her voice. “As I came up on the fucker said ‘Get the fuck away from my son!’ but he only turned with his arm around Aaron’s neck and looked right at me. I couldn’t make out a damn thing he was facing away from the streetlights. I kept running and pulled Aaron away from him. He turned into the light and made the creepiest dull growl and opened his mouth. Dad, the guy had incisors like I’ve never seen. Fangs. Dad, I swear they were fangs.” There was a bit of a pause.

Doug interjected in a very serious tone. “Keep going.”

“God I wish I was making it up dad. I’ve been a cop for how many years? He looked like he was going to lunge at me or Aaron again. I pulled my gun and shot him in the chest. It barely stunned him!! I fired again, this time at his head. He fell over. Yet there was no blood. No blood dripping from his chest, or his head. The fucker got up and looked at me. I cocked my gun again and he turned and ran, faster than anything I’ve seen. I don’t know if it was cuz of the car coming down the street, or the fact that I was ready to unload the next 16 rounds in from the glock, but he took off.” Daysha slid down the counter and her legs pulled into her as tears were rolling down her face. The shock of it all was hitting her hard. “I could have lost Aaron, dad.” There was silence on the other end of the phone. “Dad, what the fuck just happened? Am I imagining this?” Still silence. “Dad?” More silence. “Dad are you there?”

In a serious monotone voice, the kind a father emits when he holds all his emotions inside. “Daysha, you’re not crazy. They’re real. It’s all real.” Daysha nearly dropped the phone as there was another long pause from her father. “I prayed so many times when you decided to join the force that you’d never have to see the shit I did.” He took a deep breath in as he continued. “And that creepy tingly feeling you get happens when vampires are around. Happened to me too. Sweety, watch your back, they’re everywhere and where you least expect them.”

Daysha’s lips were trembling all she could force herself to say came in a stutter. "W-w-what?”

“There’s more, so much more.” Doug continued. “I’ll tell you what I know, but there’s too many cases to even begin to tell you about.”

"Dad why didn't you tell me before? I could have been watching out for this shit long ago." Daysha was still upset under the circumstances. "I have a son for christ sake." She added, her voice was still shaking.

In that calm fatherly tone, Doug tried to put her at ease. "To protect you Daysha. To protect Aaron and Darrin. There were so many times I wanted to, so many times I nearly did. The times when you'd ask why you'd suddenly get a cold chill down your back, I nearly told you." He paused as he sighed. "You weren't ready to believe it before. But you are now."

Daysha and her dad were on the phone till her brother, Darrin, stumbled home around 3am. Doug told her a good majority of all the stuff he encountered. Vampires, werewolves, and stuff he still couldn't describe. How he figured out a few of his officers were vampires and what measures he took to get rid of them. The stuff he couldn't really tell anyone till he found the Spiral and others that knew what he knew. Daysha's eyes were open, more than she ever expected.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha took her parents advice… mainly dad’s and joined a dating service. God this is ridiculous. Apparently Collin and her own profile “matched up.” She watched a video of him explaining a few things about himself and whatnot. Eh, he seems relatively decent.

Sauntering into Bertrosa’s Italian Restaurant (his choice), she wore a new black dress and heels. Her hair was down and a few soft curls were in her tresses. A little lipstick, a little eyeliner and voila, date worthy? The dating service had booked their reservation under the code word cupid… god how stupid. So she told the host that when she arrived. Daysha was fairly certain he snickered.

When she got to the table, Collin wore slacks a blazer and…. Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirt? “Hey there I’m Collin, uh Rachael?”

Great. “No, my name’s Daysha. I guess there was some sort of mix up?”

“Yeah I was expecting a blonde but hey this could be fun!” Collin said enthusiastically.

As Daysha sat down, she set her purse in the chair next to her. It’s not like she ever left home without her gun. "Well nice to meet you Collin. This is an interesting place.” Looking around at the typical Italian décor.

“Yeah, I love this place. Oh I took the liberty of ordering the wine for you.” Collin pointed to the glass in front of her. “It’s one of the best on the list.”

Too bad I hate wine. “That’s lovely, thank you.” Daysha thought she’d be nice and take a sip. Setting the glass down she asked. “So, what do you do for a living Collin?” Make some small talk.

He seemed to be excited to talk about himself when he said. “Oh I work for a gun manufacturing company. I’ve designed a few specialty side arms for personal use.” Collin made a passing gesture. “But I shouldn’t bore you with the details. I’m sure you’re more into shoes or purses or something.” He chuckled a little.

“Uh, yeah sure.” Patience Daysha.

“Yeah I’m also an auto enthusiast. I love rebuilding old cars and engines as a hobby. Nothing like the feeling of a good car flyin down the highway.” He smiled all shit eating grin like. “But I’m sure you drive something nice, like a Buick or Chrystler 300?”

“No, I drive a modified Dodge Charger.” Daysha said flatly, then smiled. Keep trying, maybe he’s just pompous cause he’s nervous.

“Oh you mean the luxury version?” Collin gave her a wink. “It’s ok, I know it’s hard to remember all the different fluff names.”

Daysha took a gulp of wine, since it was there. “Uh no, I mean modified.” She gave him a forced smile.

He smiled and shrugged. “Alright so where were we.”

We were talking about how cool you were….

“Oh yes! Yeah, I am currently rebuilding a rare Cuda, not a Barracuda.” Collin said with a bragging look in his eyes.

“Oh, you mean the one that goes 0 to 60 in 5 gallons.” Daysha chuckled a little.

“Huh? Uh yeah, it’s kind of a gas hog. But it’s super sharp.” He looked a little bewildered. “But anyway I won’t bore you with the details.” Again waiving his hand passively. “So, what do you do for a living?”

“I work in law enforcement.” Daysha stated as she picked up the glass to take another drink.

“Oh, a clerk, dispatch, secretarial? All very needful jobs. I bet my company has probably made some of your weapons. Fantastic sort of thing. You should ask one of the officers if they’re carrying one.” He quickly pulled out his card and set it on the table.

Daysha set the glass down hard and glared at the card on the table. Oh thank god I don’t have his fucking pile of shit. “I’m actually a cop.” Or detective, but it’s not like he’d know the difference.

“Oh, like mall security?” Collin turned his head slightly still with a creepy salesman grin.

“No.” She took another drink of the wine.

He laughed a little. “Well I hear they’re having more patrols in school yards. It’s necessary but you look like you’re capable.”

Yeah, I’m done with you. Setting the wine glass down forcefully she leaned in and smiled all creepy and started talking through her teeth. “Listen here, Collin. I don’t own your crappy gun. I don’t work behind a desk, or walk around a mall or school. I’m a fucking homicide detective who’s seen more death and tragedy as a result of people acting like idiots.”

“Oh, is this some sort of role-play fantasy fun! I didn’t know that was the kind of dating site I signed up for.” Collin said with a sudden look of surprise and excitement.

Daysha stood up and picking up her purse. She then grabbed the glass of water she threw the water in his face from the glass. He squealed like a girl. “I don’t have to take this degrading bullshit from you. If I wanted to be patronized, I’d have dinner with my mother.” There was a sudden look of shock on Collin’s face. She put one hand on the table and leaned in not far from his face. “My modified Charger is police modified you idiot. I carry a glock and a bunch of other weapons that thankfully aren’t made by your pitiful company. Be careful who you insult COLLIN cause I will make damn sure you lose your contract with our police force.”

Collin sat there as Daysha stood up again. Jaw dropped and nothing coming out.

“I hope Rachel is as stupid as you want her to be.” She started to walk away, not looking back. “Asshole.”

No more fucking blind dates. No more dating service.

D
    Daysha Jackson

Daysha was slightly like her mom, if you only counted the OCD tendencies. It was Christmas day and the family had gotten together at the Jackson’s for food, desserts, wine, liquor and whatever festivities involving consumption allowed. Most of the dinner was a discussion about the wedding of Darrin and Lauren. She wasn’t bothered by it, she was a bridesmaid. Despite the crack about her mother saying she should be a groomsman, there was a lot of input from the family. Probably too much. Daysha often wondered if Lauren spent a month with Debbie, if she’d call the wedding off. But, Lauren was quite the catch and amazingly tolerant of mom-in-law to be.

Aaron and the other younger kids were down in the rec-room playing video games, or ping-pong on the well worn table. It held a lot of memories of Doug, Darrin and Daysha, long nights of tournaments and talking till 4am. So assigned kitchen duty, as usual, Daysha began washing all the Christmas China from 35 guests. Not to mention all the silverware, cups saucers, dessert plates and whatever else was on the table. Heaven forbid it go in the dishwasher. Meanwhile she listened to everyone carrying on in the other rooms. Her mother’s voice being the loudest. Daysha’s name was mentioned several times in the conversation of the wedding, as a comparison of what not to do or what worked. She rolled her eyes, as she stared out the window finally on the last of the plates. Then something really struck her to the core. “Oh yeah Lauren you should introduce her to your single family members. Then again, we’re not sure if she’s a lesbo or not.” Debbie let out a boisterous laugh, and everyone in the room chimed in with her.

And then a plate was dropped, smashing into the sink. Darrin quickly came out of another room. “Hey, you alright?” His eyes apologizing for the crap that came out of their mother’s mouth.

“No.” She went to pick up the broken dish and heard her mother hollering in the other room. Debbie freaking about the Lennox china she just broke and how she owed her for it.

“Uh, why don’t you step outside or do whatever. I’ve got this. It will get me away from wedding talk.” He leaned in while stepping by the sink. “Dad’s in the garage.” He whispered with a chuckle in his voice.

Hearing Debbie hollering her name again, Daysha kept walking and left the house. Popping in a piece of Nicorette, dad strolled into the doorway of the garage. She eyed his Camero for a moment or two before turning to him. “Couldn’t take it anymore.”

Doug sighed and shook his head. “That bad honey?”

“Worse than last year.” She said through her teeth. Daysha turned to her dad, looked around for a moment then spoke slightly hushed. “Dad, have you ever wondered if mom is a witch or some shit?” There was no joking in her voice despite the fact she wasn’t really serious.

Doug reached into his pocket and pulled out a set of keys and tossed them at Daysha as he walked toward the Camero. “Get in, you drive.” He gave her a fatherly wink.

“Sure.” She said calmly, but inside she had a daddy’s girl moment. Oh hellllll yes I will drive this beautiful piece of machinery. God I wonder how it handles on high speed chases. Too bad this wasn’t my present, but dad needs an excuse to get the hell away from her.

After they got in the car and Daysha backed out of the driveway, Doug burst into laughter. “Oh honey, you know how many times I’ve had to make sure she’s not a witch or some other vile thing from a fishing trip?” He shook his head with another laugh. “More times than you want to know.”

Gripping the wheel for a moment, she asked. “Uh, not that I’m telling you to get a divorce but why the hell are you still with her?”

“Because she’s good in bed.” With a cheesy grin.

“Oh man dad. Come on.” She said with disgust and a slight laugh, her face crinkling up as she did. No one ever wants to hear about their parent’s sex life.

Doug gently tapped the back of his hand on Daysha’s shoulder. “I’m kidding. But really, we still get along better than most couples married this long. Besides, we both have enough hobbies to keep out of each other’s hair for lengths of time.”

“Yeah, like fishing.” Daysha said as she drove, still in awe of the power she was driving. Dad really didn't answer her, but maybe it was one of those things that went without saying, and she should just accept it. “So…” She paused trying to figure out how to word something, then a nonverbal fuckit went through her head. “Alright, so really, how did you check to see if mom’s a witch?”

Doug put his hands on his lap and tapped it for a moment. He knew when his daughter wouldn’t let go of something until she had an answer. The acorn didn’t fall far from the tree. “Ok, well my buddies and I kept watches on her when I wasn’t at home. Checking through the house or her various clubs to see if she kept things there. Or if in fact the books from her club were normal every day books. I’m pretty sure romance novels can’t produce hexes or whatnot.”

Daysha swerved for a fraction of a second, which was a uncommon for her. “Sorry.” Quickly blurted out as she regained control of the wheel. She couldn’t believe dad really checked out mom. “I should have known you would have did a full scale investigation or some sort on your own family. Let me guess, you’ve checked out Lauren too.”

“Damn right I did.” Dough said flatly. “I had to make sure she wasn’t pretending to be human or anything. You’ve only grazed the surface of what’s out there so far.” He looked to his daughter. “Are you sure you still want to do this Daysh?”

Daysha was silent for a moment or two as thoughts of the night Aaron was attacked went through her head and she began to white knuckle grip the steering wheel. “Dad, I don’t want some other mother to have their kid go missing because of the shit that prowls around out there. It’s bad enough we have humans that do some evil shit.”

Doug gave half surrender hands up. “Alright, alright. So, I’ll tell you a little more of what I know and what I’ve found out from others.”

Before they knew it, they had driven all the way to Redding. Daysha didn’t care. There was something timeless about being in his car, whether she was a driver or a passenger. Dad was explaining what he knew about witches, passed on from the encounters of others.

Maybe next year we should just do the Christmas road trip and forego mother…

D
    Daysha Jackson

Christmas Day 2012
    Debbie 17 - Daysha 0

Debbie was in the kitchen when Daysha and Aaron arrived at the Jackson Family residence for Christmas dinner that day. It was long before they would eat and Daysha thought she’d be the dutiful daughter and help her mother. Thought, being the key word.

The detective put down the bag of stuff she was to bring. Two salads, one fruit like and the other a vegetable salad along with tart cookies and fresh bread. All bought from the store that morning. Because let’s face it, Daysha’s cooking skills were enough to get her buy and make generally edible and simple things like roast, chicken and stuff from a box. The complex stuff, she wasn’t any good at. Just ask those who got to witness the cookie tragedy of November 2012. Nothing like Sara Harlowe ’s amazing cake.

Not that Daysha was trying to fool her mother at all, but the place she’d ordered it all from put it in beautiful plastic dishes that looked presentable and possibly homemade.

Popping over to her mother at the stove, Daysha pecked her on the cheek. "Hey Mom, Merry Christmas.”

“Oh you’re finally here.” Debbie said like her daughter was immensely late. “Say, could you put that stuff from the store in the fridge. Leaving it out it may get funny.”

Cocking her brow, Daysha shrugged. “Uh, sure mom. What else do you need help with.”

Aaron walked over and hugged Debbie’s side, to which she pecked him on the forehead. “Hey sweety, could you help Darrin hook up the new TV he gave us for Christmas?”

Daysha tried not to let it all get to her, at least for now. She and Darrin went together to get her parents the new television and she knew Darrin told her this. But apparently it was ‘from Darrin’. Aaron quickly dashed to the living room with the rest of the guys. At 14, of course gadgets were way more fun than hanging in the kitchen.

Wondering if her mom heard her or ignored her, Daysha asked a different way. “So, need the taters mashed, table set or anything?”

Her mom was fiddling with a few things, and checking the oven before she answered and didn’t bother to look at her. “Table was set this morning, Emily mashed the potatoes already. We’re just waiting for the turkey now that everything else is simmering.”

Daysha leaned on the counter shrugging a little. “Oh, alright.” She wasn’t ticked at Emily, Darrin’s gal. Cause if that poor woman managed not to be on her mom’s hate trail so far, that was a good sign. In fact, she was the first girl that Debbie didn’t chase off after the first family dinner. So, that was a shocker.

After a long bought of silence from her mother she put down an oven mitt and checked the fridge. First a tisk then a sign as she looked at the shelf Daysha put her stuff down on. “You couldn’t have made at least one of these yourself?” She said in an irritated voice.

“Well ma, it’s not like I had much time. That and I don’t normally make that stuff so I’d most likely screw it up.” Which was entirely honest considering Daysha either worked, spent time with Aaron, Darrin, dad… or hunting.

“Really.” A long pause. “No time.” Another pause. “No time whatsoever.”

The detective didn’t really know where she was going with this and shrugged silently trying to avoid a conflict.

“You mean to tell me that all you do is work? I highly doubt that Daysha. I think its just laziness.” Debbie said with more irritation and shut the door to the fridge. She went back to stirring something.

….but that, was the final straw for the detective. “No ma, it’s not lazy. I really don’t have time. When I’m not busy with work or Aaron I’m studying cases. It’s not a job that you can just leave at the office.”

“Oh it certainly is, Dasyha.” The mockery was very apparent in her voice. “You have the same career as your father. He found time to do something productive outside of work. Like fishing. At least he had something to show for it.”

Part of Daysha wanted to laugh at the fishing comment, but the angry side of her won. “Ya know, it’s Christmas day. For once could you not cut me to the quick and nag at me?”

“Why?” Debbie’s head tilted in front of the stove. “Maybe if I keep at it, it will probably sink in.”

Daysha didn’t say another word. She grabbed her jacket and went outside, slamming the door behind her.

Lighting up a cigarette, she stood by the flower bed. It was intentional to ash all over the fucking flowers her mom planted. She also put the butt right in the shitty ass flowers. It was while Daysha was chainsmoking into smoke number 2 that she heard the door open to the house. The familiar steps that were medium weight pressing on the wood of the porch. The way the walk was purposeful but still slower. The breathing just loud enough to know he wasn’t trying to sneak up… it was Doug.

Also known as Dad to the detective just cut to the quick by her mother. “Dad if you came out here to apologize for that bitch, please save your breath.”

Moving next to her, Doug put his arm around Daysha’s shoulder. “Nope, that’s not why I’m here honey.”

“So you’re here to what? Tell me I should avoid her and not bother trying?” She sighed slightly dismayed.

“Nope, not that either sweety.” Doug spoke with a slight ring in his voice that there was something he had in mind.

“Alright, I’ll bite.” Turning to her dad, with a nearly hopeless look on her face.

“You need to learn to lie better to your mother.” A soft smirk moved over Doug’s thin lips.

“Haha, what?!” It’s not every day your dad tells you to lie to your mother. “Uh…okay?” Daysha said with bewilderment.

In a low conspiring tone, Doug added. “A buddy of ours paid a guy to fish for us. So we had something to bring home. They Looking toward the house, indicating Debbie. “were none the wiser.”

“Okay well I tried that trick and had the stuff special ordered…” Shrugging, still hopeless like.

Doug hugged her shoulders toward him. “And that was a good attempt. But, your mother has this creepy knack for knowing the difference.” He rolled his eyes and chuckled softly. “So, what you do, is pay a neighbor who’s fairly decent at that stuff. Or someone else you know. Bring your own containers, she’ll never know the difference. Other than you suddenly found your hobby.”

The light-bulb clicked on. “Wow, that’s genius dad. I’m really going to need to remember that for the next holiday or whatever.” Wrapping her hand around her dad’s waist, she hugged him back. “Thanks, Dad. For…everything.”

“Always sweety. One day, Debbie will realize you’re amazing in your own way. Like I do.”

Daysha didn’t really need to hear the words from Doug. But still, it made her day; and the Grinch that was about to rise up and hate the whole day, slid back into the cave.

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.