Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch
Most Memorable Moments

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

I don't think we've ever done one of these. I was thinking about why we play, for the moments of awesome that are just unforgettable, and reminiscing with Lermanicus.

So.

2 Questions:

What's your coolest/most memorable moment *ever* role-playing?

What's your coolest/most memorable moment on TV?

I'll go first, but just on the first question.

Back in the day of AD&D 2E, the Bloodstone trilogy was pretty much the apex of module gaming. We had run through them and all had characters ranging from 18-25th level. Well, the final Bloodstone module went epicly bad. All the dice were against us, and long story short we were standing on top of the keep's tower as The Bad Guys were literally tearing it down stone by stone to get to us.

My buddy Chad looks at the GM, and in his quiet, serious way, asked "Can I make a god call?"

Chad had literally played the epitome of a paladin for the past year and a half. His character was good, thoughtful, inspiring, just, awesome. Like literally made you want to be a better person. He wasn't preachy or anything but there was no doubt that he was devout and pious. No. Doubt. (Chad would later go on to West Point and is currently a Lt. Colonel in the Army, which tells you what kind of guy *he* is)

So Darren, our GM, ponders it, then finally says "OK. 1% chance."

Chad picks up the two tens (a red and green) and declared the tens place (green) and rolled. The green came up 0 and the red came up a 1.

Dead. Silence.

Then the screaming and whoopin and hollerin started. It was EPIC. On a single die roll, our paladin's faith saved our entire party from certain doom. To this day, all of us still, in improbable situations (like forgetting to file a tax return extension), will look at one another and ask, "God call?"
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

2. Likes Yumyumcrow, Teeramus liked this post
    K
    Kazakin

Most memorable game ever?

Tier I Hunter. We'd just tracked what we thought was a vampire that was slaughtering local collage students into his lair. We were a four man cell, pretty much a bunch of average Joes. So we think sunlight will destroy this thing and open the curtains.

It opens its eyes, gives a blood curdling snarl and jumps onto the cell's leader, dealing about 9 Lethal as pretty much every dice turns up a success.

Leader passes out in a bloody mess. We run. ST rolls to pursue. Exceptional success.

It chases us into the kitchen.

I decide to give the other PCs a chance to escape and grapple it. It's way stronger than my alcoholic accountant and tosses him into the stove with another spray of spectacular successes. It dives on him.

I figure "Hell with this!" and try to turn the stove on. Just make it. We grapple. My hipflask gets hot and explodes. We're both on fire.

ST rolls for the creature to escape. It's a chance die. This creature has been obscenely lucky so far.

It comes up 1.

There was much rejoicing.

We played a Vampire the masquerade game, it went on that long that I had to retire 2 characters because they became so powerfull they were unplayable.

A bit of backstory : 10 years ago the prince fell into torpor, the city argued over the next prince and war broke out. Archons came and categorically told the city that either they decide who the next prince will be or they would decide for them. The primogen went with a compromise candidate.

So 10 years after that happens a Lasombra called Robert ogilvy was making a play for the city. The players all choose sides and my Ventrue went with this Lasombra Antribu (He hated the Toreador prince). We were all working on parts of this grand scheme knowing ghenna was on the way. Working towards getting our candidate on the throne or keeping him there.

My Ventrue finds out that Robbert had been working with demons. One of the PC's on the other side had called a Justicar and the Toreador Justicar came.

Knowing they were on the way my Ventrue dashed off to london to see Queen Anne (Believing she is the clans Inner circle member, hell who else could it be?) She got the number for a Ventrue Archon working for the Toreador Justicar and arrangements were made for him to see the Justicar.

Just as Farfog was spilling his guts, telling her everything and the parts he had played in this plot ... along with some great roleplaying, I never knew I could grovell that well The Gm said

"Suddenly the room plunges into darkness" and with that we had a power cut.

it was one of thoose creepy moments I will never forget.
    Matt - Werewolf Storyteller
    Pronouns: He/ Him

First Requiem game ever. It's like '08 or whatever. The premise is that we're fresh embraces, locked in the same solarium and the sun's a coming and what the hell is going on?

Anyway, one of the others is playing an honest-to-god trenchcoat. A longcoat-clad vigilante complete with cockney accent, devil-may-care swagger, brandishing switchblades at perceived injustices, delivering cryptic threats between dramatic pulls on a cigarette. The whole nine yards.

So this asshole grates on everyone, trivialising our shared plight with quips which make little sense, picking fights left and right and generally hogging the limelight. He tempts rottschrek at every turn, playing with zippos (no matter how many times we snatch these away and hurl them into the pacific).

It all comes to a head when we've beaten some vampire goon to paste in a torture suite. Trenchcoat guy picks up a blowtorch and does this routine on how he's going to go to town on vampire goon if he doesn't spill his guts. My guy's like 'I'm through with this cowboy shit, stop playing with fire'. He's told him straight up that he's getting a crossbow bolt in him if he doesn't drop the blowtorch right now. He winks and tells me where to go.

My guy can't bitch out at this point, and honestly it's getting old, so I shoot him through the face. The player makes a big deal about 'now you've done it!' and narrates his guy turning on the blowtorch accidentally as he's shot. Goon screams. Everybody roll rottschrek.

Yeah, he's the only one to fail it. His character goes running out into the night in unfriendly territory. The player makes it to one more session, but punks out after a fairly petty revenge bid falls through.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

that's all awesome stuff

those fickle, fickle dice and people wonder why i love them so
    The Zeroth Law & the Burden of InteractionThe Devil is in the DotsGreat ExpectationsPlaying MagePlayer Run Plots
    If you have a question about your character, please post it on your character sheet

Ciara Maskelyne

Being old as dirt, I have a lot of fond gaming memories. But my favorite have always been with Shadowrun. For those not familiar with the setting, think Blade Runner meets D&D. The first rule to remember when running (at least when I'm in a party) is the crazier the plan, the more likely it is to succeed.

Playing a rigger (Cybered up chuefuer. Trust me, it's cooler than it sounds.) in a group with a face, a gun bunny, and our pet werekitten. (Said kitty was actually my friend Dave, and a weretiger, but I love to tease him.) Our Job is to protect out client from an assassin. So we load everyone up in an armoured RV; and head out of town, figuring a Winnebago was the last place the guy would look for a megacorp CEO.

We figured wrong. The Big Bad rightly decides the nigh-unkillable furball is the biggest threat in the party; and pays off two spirits to attack the fuzzy. As we're taking the interstate out of Seatle; furball gets this strange look on his face as one of the ghosts grabs him and tries to pull him down to immobilize him.

Dave makes the roll to stay standing, so the things try and pull him back to the end of the RV. By the jollies. Needless to say, there is now a very PO'ed werekitty in Crinos fighting tooth and claw to not be dragged away.

My rigger feels all this; and quickly realizes we have no magic uses in the party to fight these things off with. So, the choices are 1) stand around like idiots watching this all happen and wait for the ambush that's sure to come or 2) Go Faster. (Go Faster is always an option for a rigger, no matter the given situation) So option 2 it is.

And sure enough, the assassin was trailing behind the RV on a bike; waiting for the time to attack. In the space of a few seconds he watches the RV speed up, a werekitty sized dent appear in the back of the bus (Dave failed his roll to not be dragged back in combination of the RV suddenly going faster), followed a split second later by a werekitty sized hole appear in the back of said RV.

To put this in perspective, imagine you're driving down the highway in a convertible. The top is down, and you're headed under an overpass. Unknown to you, some schmuck has grabbed a cat, dumped him in a bucket of water, and then threw said kitty at your head. The GM ruled there wasn't enough left of the man after 600 pounds of death-raging furball hit him at 120 mph to identify.

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

awesome

Then again, I'm guessing anything that starts with "getting dragged by the tenders" is going to be a good story lol

Magical Chinchilla
    Star Scenes

Threadsurrection.

Lotta new faces.

Share your most memorable Scene/moment on site so far!

10. Likes Teeramus liked this post
+ Reply to Thread