Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Church Chat Pt 1

Hector rolls up to the Church Mariel oversees in a Lincoln Town car with Within Temptation playing just loud enough to be heard. Noticing Mariel sweeping the steps he grins. He parks in the lot for the church goers and steps out into the cool night. He's dressed simply in nice street clothes, the only thing setting him apart is his wavy black hair that cascades past his shoulders and those pitch black eyes that hold a fire in them. He walks up just out of dusting range and nods to Mariel, "Good evening. I hope all is well." His tone is pleasant enough but as yet reveals nothing more.

Yes, it seems to be,said Mariel. Please, Hector, come in.

Without another word Hector follows Mariel in but slowly as he looks for lurkers while doing his best to keep it unnoticed.Ok, I'm curious. What's up?

He smiles and looks Mariel in the eye, "Let's say I've a healthy respect for large enclosed spaces with ample space. Perhaps you'll understand in a bit."He motions to the area where the office is usually kept, obvious or not here, obviously indicating a question of where they're going. He doesn't seem to mind one way or the other.

Do you want to go to the Pastor's study, or the sanctuary? "Where ever you wish, it's your home." He replies easily.

Mariel is getting creeped out.Ok, then....sanctuary it is. It has more exits,she thinks to herself, beginning to be worried about Hector harming her. As he follows Mariel, Hector observes any artwork in the church which is always customary. Feeling it's a neutral topic he asks, "Any chance you've a hand in any of the artwork present?"his tone indicates actual interest.No, I've only lived here a short time, replied Mariel. I like art quite a bit, though.

He was pleased to hear her response which carried into his tone,"That's fortunate, I've seen more than a few such places lose themselves to gaudy decor and extravagance than to illustrate any real meaning. Any chance you have a practice other than the demonstration I've already seen?"

Mariel is losing patience.What are you talking about? Do you want to learn whip play?

He smiles reassuringly,"No just curious if you're a painter, writer or somesuch. If you'd prefer we can just get down to business, I'd hate to be trouble."

Mariel is really getting exasperated.I enjoy art. I like museums. I'm not very good at creating things myself, though. Other than lustful thoughts, and we both know you're not interested in that. Some men have called me their muse, but I doubt that you'd count that, either. So what's all this about?

He shrugs while replying,"Thinking of your idea to do work with the community, creative art is often a good way to go and reach many. Just working to think ahead is all, or perhaps I indicated something else that offends you in which case I apologize."He spreads his hands and appears to be sincere in not wishing her upset."As for muses I've enough and that could very well count, inspiration is creation in the raw." He looks about for a seat to take and makes a motion indicating ladies first.

Mariel sits on the front steps of the altar, waving Hector to an ornately carved wooden pew in the front.

He smiles at the placement but takes his seat none the less and looks comfortable. He nods at the carved wood with approval before asking,"Unless you wanted to tackle something else first I'd be curious to see if you had any other ideas of methods for cooperation with our covenants?"

Mariel spoke: I think that since we're both faith communities we should try to present aunited front. And if I happen to run across any suitable candidates that would be a good match for your Covenant, I'll steer them your way if theCircle will do the same for us. This is something that Father Black will not agreeto, but I'm willing to do it myself...but I have a request of my own.
    He nods that she should continue.
    Mariel continued.I want to improve my skills. I would really like to be able to see in the dark, and I'd like to be able to tell if my prey is healthy. She looked at Hector to see his reaction.

He considers her a long moment in which his eyes would seem to look into her rather than upon her, obviously thinking."Alright, since you've the courage to fly in the face of adversity and, traditional history," He smiles pleased, "I'll see about someone who could mentor you. I promise nothing but to inquire who would be willing among my own."

I can't help until the skills are taught. You understand,said Mariel.

That illicited a raised eyebrow,"Really? Is this a conditional cooperation then or a need to be able to work your side?"His tone is neutral and no longer has the previous pleasant tone to it.

Mariel snorts.I'm not going to be shown to be helping another Covenant, particulaly a rival one, until I'm assured that I will be properly reimbursed for doing so. To do so would put me at considerable risk without any payoff.

He nods in understanding where her thoughts were now,"Isee. That I can appreciate. However, on that note then, what can we expect more so than the cooperation we'll be providing you with as well?"

What do you want? asked Mariel. My own abilities are limited, and tapping Father Black'sskills is pretty much out of the equation.

His smile is nice as he responds, "What I want is irrelevant." He considers her a moment before going on,"All things considered we would need toknow more of what we can reasonably ask for. You say your abilities are limited, that doesn't give us much. Although your support in Court couldbe rather effective." He waits to see her reaction to his suggestion.

I'm actually hoping for something regarding that...

"Oh, do tell."

The Inquisition is coming to town. And I'm going to petition them that I be allowed to join the Invictus. I would have dual membership, of course, said Mariel with some excitement.

His eyes take on a much harder quality for a long moment when she mentions joining the Invictus but it subsides. "Interesting, and why do that pray tell."

To influence from within, of course, said Mariel, happily. And speak for both faithcommunities. Maybe that would be worth the price.

"Let me rephrase that, to what end do you seek the influence, for that's aknife waiting to be used provided we support you let alone have your support."He also reacted a little to the inquisition coming to town but more of grudging acceptance. "I've survived a war or two to know."

I have ....radical ideas for someone in the Sanctified. And as there's somany of you, and only one of me, I wouldn't think it would be a problem.I'm not stupid enough to betray the ones I work with,huffed Mariel.

Hector leans back and looks at Mariel, his right hand coming to support his chin. A few moments later his hand drops casually as he says,"While interesting, both you and your plan, I at least would need to know more while the rest I know would require some form of security. What are you willing to endure to attain your goal?"

Endure? What do you mean? asked Mariel.

He chuckles slightly, "This is nothing short of legendary, what you propose, provided you're being candid. If you're serious and not playing then you need to figure out just what you're willing to sacrifice, endure, reap and face to achieve your goal. Will you part the red sea, kill what you love, give up your soul, murderer innocents, have your heart torn out every night for a century if you fail or succeed?"

Mariel doesn't bother to hide her expression. WTF?!?

I'm serious. But I won't murder innocents, and I won't be punished forsuccess! I'm not a Circle Member, I don't believe in tribulations!Also, notso down with the heart tearing thing. What would be the point of that,Hector?

While I'm familiar with your particular covenant, I would think that whatyou propose would indicate a lack of loyalty in favor of ambition, unless of course you came with more backing than you present. The point is that while you have your ideas it is ideas that usually bear the worst punishment and those that bring them to the light. Hector continues.
    And is it not your place to punish the wicked? In away you are a tribulation. But enough of that, if you're serious I'll discuss it with the others but be prepared for a steep price.

This all hinges on me being able to move into the Invictus anyway, and so might be moot. Why don't we just get to the point of why you came here tonight, said Mariel, tired of the round and round conversation.What do you want?

Hector chuckles lightly.Fair enough, however, my purpose is two fold. Half of which we already discussed, I do wish for our covenants to work together as best as possible.

I would be in favor of that. I think the others in this community are ignoring the Faith communities as much as they can, said Mariel wearily.

The second is to ensure you and your fellows I don't want a fight comingfrom outside the city. Your Inquisitors have impeccable timing. He pauses a moment before going on.I came from LA, it's likely still under the heavy intolerant hand of your covenantand the reason I'm here while the rest of the Circle of the city are ash.

Not all branches of Covenants are alike, you know,said Mariel mildly.But I'm sorry if you had trouble in L.A. The Inquisitors aren't coming for anybody outside the Covenant.She sighs. They'll be here to judge me and Father Black. I made a formal complaint. I didn't know this would happen,she said, gloomily.

The only reason I'm here is because they feared me enough to only stake me and send me away rather than risk what may happen upon mydeath, let alone having killed a few of their own sorcerers. One of whom wasan Inquisitor sent after me, so I hope you'll forgive my suspicion, said Hector.

What would happen on your death?Mariel is puzzled.I don't understand. I don't know who they're sending as Inquisitors, just that there are two.
    Maybe they'll just be in town to settle mycomplaint, and then they'll leave.

He shrugs,Curse most likely or my faithful coming to haunt whoever killed me, all stuff with the practices of the Circle.Nothing to be bothered about.He shrugs again and looks into her eyes,If it is as you say then we should have no problems. As I said I'm not looking for a fight. Kindred aren't known for passing up on grudges.However.Do you know where they are coming from?

Well...no,said Mariel. Mother Superior is coming with them, and she's fromSan Francisco.

I suppose it doesn't really matter. But I won't hide either way. I just felt it prudent to discuss this with you and thegood Father in case someone came along and started a ruckus.

Well, I'm not aware that they're coming for any otherreason than to kick Father Black's ass. And mine, too, most likely, said Mariel with resignation.

Well then you can expect some help from us in the future if needs be. I'll understand if yoursuperiors don't.

So, was there anything else on your mind?,asked Mariel.

I'll be interested to hear of any more plans you have for the covenants working together. Unless your condition stands on all involvement? said Hector.

Mariel sighs. No, I suppose not. Right now, I've got bigger fish to fry, I'm afraid. But we'll see what comes up. Mariel has a thought. Hey....I do need to speak with Circe directly about something. Do you have contact info for her?

Nodding, Hector said, I know I'd be interested in attending some of your services and would be more than happy to allow you and yours some access to ours in a hopes of generating some understandings. As for Circe, I'll see that she gets a hold of you within the week.

It's actually kind of pressing,said Mariel. Not exactly an emergency, but....yeah. Please have her call me as soon as she can. And there's mass scheduled for a week from today.

Is there anywhere in particular I might find Father Black?

I think he's out converting the sinners or something, snarked Mariel. I haven't seen him for quite a while. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

He frowns at her mention of pressing and asks,Should I mention anything in particular to Circe as it may provoke a speedier response?

Mariel said, I found an abandoned Childe, and she's the only one I know here in town who's talked of having one.

Do you have a name for this child?

He seems to be of the Christian varietythough, so... he's ours, she stated, for the record. Yes. I do. And I'll talk to Circe about that.
    Chuckles.
    He came with a rosary and everything!said Mariel, in her own defense.

He is not Circe's child so feel free to teach him all you want,said Hector.

Well, I know he's not Circe's childe! I just need her...parenting advice!said Mariel, with a little frustration. I've never had one before, and I want to do things right.

His changes to one of understanding,Very well. I think I can arrange something.

Closed Thread