Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
PRP - A little bit of Hocus Pocus Part 1

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

Nimbus: Plants seem to take a deep breath in around him (No physical signs just a feeling)
    (Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 0
    Defense: 2

Vulgar: 0
    Active Spells: 0/5
    Personal Spells: 0/3

No Active Spells

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, bus ticket, $50 cash), keys, pen, small notebook, bottle of water, 3 X Protein Bars, 2 x Chocolate Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Backpack,

Copper Necklace with wooden pendant (Magical Tool)
    Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Active Spells: 1/5
    Personal Spells: 1/3

Spirit Tongue

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, $50 cash), keys, pen, notebook, bottle of water, 2 X Protein Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Large Army Backpack (LAB),

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

The situation at the Sacramento City College was going from bad to worse. Despite the administrations best efforts to keep the current situation on a need to know basis the student population was starting to talk, worry and demand action from the administration and from the local police. The rumour mill was working overtime, the reality was no one knew exactly what was going on but reasons went from they quit and went awol, its part of a prank to there was a campus killer on the loose.

Small articles had made it into one of Sacramento's local papers about missing students but with 5 students going missing more attention was being directed towards the college. The last student went missing this morning, and the campus was already buzzing as the news spread like wildfire. Along the way Puck and Witch ( Xander deltadream ) had heard about this case (However your character heard about the case is up to you - Press, talking with a college student, maybe a contact in the administration).

The Sacramento City campus was easy to get to, and the buzz was already starting. A group of students stood outside the Student Services centre frantically talking about this mornings disappearance.

Giving you both a chance to enter the scene, recognise each other and team up. If you want to listen in to what the students are saying do me a Wits + Comp roll and I will give you some snippets of the conversations that are happening.
    Apollo
    "I choose to live by choice, not by chance."
    Current Effects: See In Scene

Witch
    Nimbus

The warmth of a campfire, shadows softening at their edges, the smell of woodsmoke in the air.

When vulgar, it's the heat of a pyre, the air darkening with ash, the smell of burning flesh.
    Venue
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 3

Vulgar
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

PRPYLF - Grim Sight

PRE

SCC wasn't her school. But there were enough faculty that floated between the two for word to get out. And enough words got out to catch her attention. In today's world students went missing at the same time and the cause was immediately identifiable even if the mass shooter's motive wasn't.

But trickling disappeareances?

She hoped it was the prank option. But there was only one way to be sure.

And so it was that she had found a visitors parking spot earlier and now was roaming the grounds. She wasn't worried about being called out by security. Backpack plus age equals insta-student. No makeup needed, though that hadn't stopped her from wearing some.

The flurry of conversation tinged with drama caught her ear and she wandered closer.

1 success

Stats

Equipment

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Pre-cast spells, in his sanctum - taking advantage of his hallow
    Sybil Sight
    3 successes

Matter armor
    2 successes

Corn has heard of the disappearances. As a mage working in colleges and one that actually cared for the students, he found himself showing up for this. It was not an easy decision. He really didn't like mixing his sleeper life with his mage life, but too many people were missing for him to completely ignore this. Some people there knew him by his real name and there was a good chance that he may find other mages investigating these disappearances. Still, in a college with over 20000 students, what are the chances to find another mage...
    Witch was here.
    Corn's stomach was tied in knots. Once again, he considered turning back, getting in his car and leaving. Or simply hiding in a bathroom and using magic to change his face subtly so that he wouldn't be immediately noticed by people that knew him. Again, he decided against this. There were thousands of people. A lowly part-timer would not be easily noticed and even if he was, there were just a handful of students or faculty that would move to him and call him by his real name.
    And yet, there was a chance. Small but not negligible chance that Witch would find out his real name. And through this, a lot about him. He sighed.

The other moros would probably sense the active magic on him before she saw him. Corn, when spotted by Witch would give her a court nod and approach her. He is dressed in casual colors appropriate for the weather and has a small backpack on his back.
    As he slowly crosses the yard to reach Witch, Corn lets the discussions of the students filter to him. He is there for them, after all.
    4 successes

@Matt said this is OK for me to join.
    If You want to take a couple of dice off from Wits+Comp for Corn being distracted, that's fine Matt.

spells and effects

For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Puck was almost insulted.

Missing persons. Campus chatter. And another paper got the story first? This is what happens when you spend all your time on rotes and arcana. Time to get back to the fallen world and it's current events.

Late but present, The Sacramento Bee's own Connor Ellis is on campus and sniffing for clues. This was the kind of story most journalists lived for. Proving his investigative chops was something Puck had been working on for a while, and he was oddly excited to do something that didn't involve spirits for once. Hopefully.

Dressed a a bit more casually then normal the Acanthus is ready to chat. Rather, he's ready to do what he's paid for. Still on the fence about the people part of the day. So he goes to listen to the chatter. Of course he sees the sparking golden glyphs of Corn's spells. Which, no comment. Also Witch, so reassuring. He gives the pair a chin-up if they make eye contact with Puck, but doesn't approach yet. His focus is on the student body and listening to the rumor mill.

2 suxx perception
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-08-14 18:56:00 Puck rolls 8 to Listen to the chatter (Wits+Comp) (10 Again) 3, 4, 6, 3, 5, 8, 2, 9 2 successes

stats

Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

Nimbus: Plants seem to take a deep breath in around him (No physical signs just a feeling)
    (Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

No Active Spells

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, bus ticket, $50 cash), keys, pen, small notebook, bottle of water, 3 X Protein Bars, 2 x Chocolate Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Backpack,

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Spirit Tongue

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, $50 cash), keys, pen, notebook, bottle of water, 2 X Protein Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Large Army Backpack (LAB),

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

The group of assembled students continued to chatter, mostly ignoring the mages that had decided to eavesdrop.

Witch

"Oh my god Sophia! I literally saw Greg like 4 nights ago." The conversation Witch tuned into was clearly a valley girl.

"Really? Where?" - Her friend, obviously she was from 'Joursey' (New Jersey) or at least had that accent.

"Yar! Like oh my god he was sat at his own at the Kitchen Restaurant, he was wearing a suit. I think maybe like he was on a date?"

Corn

Corn managed to dial into a couple of the conversations, a few of them were various different theory's ranging from they were doing this for attention to a campus murderer. Some people claiming they were really good friends with them and at least pretending they were more upset than they actually were. Still one conversation, or at least part of one stood out. The conversation was off to the side, spoken in hushed tones.

"They were all members of Chess Club." the woman paused "Don't quote me but I think there are only 2 male members of chess club left. If they both get missing who is next?"

The man she was talking to stood in silence for a few moments. "They had better not start coming after the baseball team. They will get a rude awakening."

The woman nodded "I spoke to one of the lecturers about it when the last one went missing but they seemed to brush my concerns off. The day after, the police were interviewing the entire chess club."

"I don't think the administration are brushing off your concerns. I think they are trying to play it down to avoid I don't know bad press or stop people from worrying. Michael bumped into them a few weeks ago by the way, he said he had seen them in that hippy book store. Sunlight of something"

Although he didn't know the full name of the book shop it was enough for Corn to identify which book shop. Sunlight of the Spirit - It was a pseudo-occult / wiccan book store.

Puck

The first conversation Puck dialled into was wildly speculative, theory's for what was going on, complaints about the administrations handling of the case. Still, possible student quotes for his article for sure.

"He lived in the same dorm as me. There were police everywhere checking out his room. That girl, you know the one... glasses a bit geeky.. doesn't really speak to anyone? Well she was friends with him and reported him missing. You think she has something to do with him going missing?"

Notes
    Apollo

6. Likes liked this post
    Witch
    Nimbus

The warmth of a campfire, shadows softening at their edges, the smell of woodsmoke in the air.

When vulgar, it's the heat of a pyre, the air darkening with ash, the smell of burning flesh.
    Venue
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 3

Vulgar

PRPYLF - Grim Sight

PRE

Witch didn't move away at Corn 's approach, his nod of greeting having been met with a waggle of fingers. And thus, passwords exchanged, all was good for entry.

"Hey," she greets under her breath. Not so much to hide but to catch the words of two girls. Greg, Kitchen restaurant, and date. Well - it was a place to start. Her gaze roams the area, after all staring at the folks she was eavesdropping on was a great way to get caught, and she spotted Puck and his chin up.

"Looks like word is definitely getting out," she says to her current companion, a subtle gesture to indicate the third Awakened in case he hadn't seen. "Or at least I assume you are here about the -" she nodded toward the flurry of student panic.

Hmmm, seemed like Puck wasn't interested in making the partnership a trio.
    Actually, was there even a partnership?

"Sounds like there is some risk in going solo around here, you up for sticking together? Overheard the name of the restaurant one was seen at, maybe a last seen situation."

Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Gail said what to Penny's boyfriend!? He didn't know who Gail was, but from where he was standing, Penny was right to be so angry... wait, focus! This is not a teen drama! You are supposed to trying to ensure that everything Penny and Gail would have to worry for, is inappropriate catty comments and shade.

Witch murmured something that he didn't quite catch - damn you Gail! - and nodded towards the groups of students discussing the disappearances. He caught the latest part of her words, at least.
    Speaking softly and not facing witch directly, he said "Sounds a good idea. The chess club was mentioned as targeted, no idea how much truth is in these rumors. Sunlight of Spirit, a bookstore I know of was also mentioned. We could also follow up on the public info about those kids. Or we could try to find a few personal items of theirs; especially the last-seen situation. "

Honestly? It seemed Puck was their best bet if they could establish some temporal sympathy with the 'last seen' guy in the place he was last seen in. Corn had his problems with the Acanthus, but he was here and Corn didn't think he was there for the coffee. So, the councilor wanted to solve this issue.

Reminder: Corn has Sybil Sight on, so he has a chance to tell which comments are 'fate-laden'
    I took the liberty to roll a reflexive W+I.
    2 successes
    This roll is probably a failure; both successes are from the last dice. My unmodified pool is 5 dice so with a single -1 penalty because of many people talking I drop to 4 dice, not 5; this was a mistake. With the 5th dice gone, the roll fails.
    Which I tried to emulate in the IC post with the college drama.

spells and equipment

For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Same dorm? Sounds like someone knows where to find one of the victims. If Puck can get where they were, then he can start to use postcognition to watch where he went. Or he could just google the time and place of the murders since other papers reported on it already. Maybe Puck should just head over to Witch and Corn after all.

"Sup." Puck says, leaving his previous cluster of sleepers to meet with the other Awakened. "Any ideas on where to start? I got a few but I don't know what your skills are keyed for."

Did he need to ask necromancers about why they were on campus when people were dying? Was it pathist to assume they were here for the murders? They were awakened. It was second nature for them to be curious, and bodies tend to make people curious. Puck would be a hypocrite if he didn't assume others were as curious as he was.

stats

Witch
    Nimbus

Venue
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 3

Vulgar

PRPYLF - Grim Sight

PRE

And so, the trio is indeed formed.

"A potential 'last seen at' for one." She said, jumping to the question. Silent hellos had been exchanged earlier after all.

"The chess club and a bookstore," was added with a nod to accredit Corn with providing that information.

"...what your skill are keyed for" The strategy talk didn't match the carefree appearance of Puck. He looked like he should be napping on the school lawn rather than diving into a missing students mystery. "Do yours match or are we looking at even more of a potential divide and conquer?"

Or better, a systematic plan of attack, but depending on what Puck brought forth could alter her early thoughts of chess club first. It was right here after all, whereas both the bookstore and restaurant were not.

I think only Corn is waiting on ST ruling/info so I went ahead and jumped so that upon receipt of it Fedup has the freedom to post

Stats

Equipment

[/QUOTE]

Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

(Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

No Active Spells

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Spirit Tongue

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

ooc

The usual tangling of threads was much to what Corn would expect. He could see the thread for the conversation he had tuned into. To Corn it seemed heavier, as if a bit denser than the others he had managed to listen into. However, there were a few threads that seemed to feel a bit heavier. Three to be exact. However, weighing all three threads and seeing which one felt heavier was something he could not figure out at this time. He just knew they were there.
    Apollo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread