Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
41 - 50
DISPLAYED
(Astral Dive II) The Staircase

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 5 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

It's a bit embarrassing too have to be reminded of your own arcana. Truth be told? Puck didn't see the value in trying interconnections. He doubted the rocks were being mind controlled, or that there would be much sympathy between the objects before him that wouldn't be obvious from regular observation. What wasn't obvious would probably just connect to some unseen individual or place they'd have to explore to find. And really, wasn't exploration already the plan? Gotta find all those dots before you can connect them.

"So, what? Thirty active portals in all?"
    Inquisitive eyes look to the annoyed Warlock. Totally not suppressing a giggle as his spells flicker out one after the other. ​"I think since we know the number of portals we should just start from the outside and work our way in. We have this landing marked, which means it's the easiest to identify and avoid in the future."

Did they need the labels for every portal? Probably not. Puck couldn't read them, and he thought the one they had was just fine.

"I don't know about you, but I if I have something valuable that I need guarded I'm not leaving it with a chihuahua. I'm leaving it with the biggest baddest things I can find. You know what a dinosaur is? Big and Bad."

True facts. High risk is high reward. Was the reward seeing dinosaurs in person? Hopefully it was a bit more then that, but there was only one way to find out.

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Yeah, around 20 landings, zero to two lit portals each. Plus around 10 free-floating ones.. can't be too sure but I think this comes close." Doing well always calmed him down, so there was almost no frustration left in Crystal right now. Who needed Magic anyway?

He watched Phoenyx jump to another landing, then he looked at Puck. His logic was sound, except.. "Who says that anyone has stashed anything here? For all we know the Seers just found it like that, or they're storing all their dangerous shit in here until they need it. I'm all for exciting treasure hunts, but shouldn't we start with something.. more manageable? Hell, we can work our way up if there is a treasure on the other side of those doors." Puck looked as much as a fighter as Crystal did and even the Arrow would struggle with fucking dinosaurs.

To add to his point, he looked for the Obrimos and called out to her. "Hey Phoenyx, anything interesting over there? Any more Atlantean runes?"

Active Spells: -/-
    Equipment: -/-
    Willpower 2/6
    Mana 5/10

Health: Willpower: Mana:

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

Puck had a point. But it was more likely to be the Arrow that ended up fighting.... whatever was in there, and that gave pause. "Roughly," she replied. "We aren't going to cover them all now, and while I will protect you I would take it as a kindness if you did not throw yourself into danger." There was a hint of a wry smile.

Jumping up she looks around, seeing the portal and peering back over the edge to her companions. "Yes," she calls back. "Looks like.... Storykeeper? Story Teller? A person linked to stories." She looked up again. "I can see the edge of the stairways clearly from here. It looks like they are finite in certain dimensions."

3 successes

Phoenyx leaps back down gracefully to the others. "Mapping the place will take a long time - especially if the platforms move - but we should try following the corridors at least. Understand as much of the connectedness as possible. It seems likely there will be other portals along there also."
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

4. Likes Yumyumcrow, Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Phoenyx' scouting served two purposes: they provided them with additional intel and other angles to tackle the problem from and it was just so damn impressive to watch her. It was almost a shame Crystal was playing for the other team.

With the group united again they'd have to decide on a further course of action. "Okay. Maybe I'm being naive but a 'Storyteller' seems like a great deal more harmless than 'Thunder Lizards'." He looked at Puck, eyebrows raised. "So if you still want to go treasure hunting, maybe we can check that one out and see how those portals function?" It was a compromise: that way maybe the Arcanthus would forget about the much more exciting land before our time. Plus, cataloguing every single landing sounded so exhausting. "What do you guys think?"

Willpower 2/6
    Mana 5/10

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.
    Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"We're in a realm of dreams." Skeptical Puck starts skeptically to Crystal. "Meaning someone had to dream this up, or shape it into what it is. I doubt very much the seers happened across a place like this and a magic artifact just happened into their possession that lead them here. A more plausible scenario is that the artifact lead them here, and they shaped it into what it was. Then what it was rotted away into what we see now. Even what we see now is a hell of a lot to build up if this is just a place to store Fido's favorite chew toy."

Puck watched in bewilderment as Phoenyx jumped to another platform, yet spoke as if she never left. Then left to shout down only to return to finish the conversation with more information in a language she seemed hesitant to say she knew. If Puck were Asleep? This would be the face of Disbelief.

"I still say we start with the platforms, and this one is already marked." The Enchanter's feet start to move towards a certain portal he was already eager to explore. ​"First rule of statistical analysis is eliminating outliers. This platform broke off the main structure and took flight. I'd bet the others did the same." Further evidence the area was shaped and not happened upon. "Since they move around they'll be the most difficult to describe the location of for others. Meaning they should be our first priority so others don't have to factor them in."

But that left something unspoken. His growing contempt for the cowardice Crystal was showing. He could wrap it up in all the logic and reason he wanted to, but the fact was Crystal was trying to guide the group through his own fears above anything else. Puck? He ran towards his fears, because if you didn't? Then they ruled you. Then your words and actions are theirs instead of yours. Then how can anyone take you seriously if you aren't even big enough to admit what you say isn't what you mean?

"If you're scared of dinosaurs then just fold space away from the beast. Or wake up. It isn't that complicated. Your attempts to talk around facing the possibility of a dream of a threat though are getting tired. Campanella described the dreams as a narrative to be completed. Meaning each has to have a way to complete it. Making it to dangerous to do so would be counterproductive as it makes a place with a function into a death sentence for anyone who tried to enter it. And I don't believe for a second that these portals don't all have functions."

He's at the door, hand on the door knob.

"I think we've done plenty of talking around the subject. Time to balance thought with action and do something."

Because really, way to talk the excitement out of thunder lizards.

"Also? We don't have any proof thunder lizards even means dinosaurs. They could be frogs with deep croaks for all we know."

7. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

It seemed that mapping the corridors was off the table for both of them. Perhaps she would arrange to come back and see again.

"Is the Astral a Dream? Or a realm of magic without constraint, from which we are awakening from the Lie?" Phoenyx asks Puck with genuine curiousity. She looks thoughtful. "What you are suggesting is plausible, but we are unlikely to know for sure. The Seers are as likely as we are to find relics of the Fallen world. But I would have thought eliminating outliers would have involved ignoring the platforms and assessing the bulk of the structure." She is smiling an amused smile.

She could see something of herself in both Crystal and puck. Careful and analytical, mirrored by the desire for action.

And of course, a certain level of impulsiveness.

"You are going through that door either way," she says to Puck - it was obvious, and something herself a few years younger might have done - "and I cannot deny I am somewhat curious. Also, it would not reflect well on me if you were eaten." Her sense of humour was dust-dry, and only seemed to rise when drunk or in some kind of tense situation.

The Arrow headed over to Puck and the door. "I will not make you, but I recommend you come with us," she added to Crystal, giving a small smile. "We move best together."

9. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

So Puck wanted to talk about things that got tired? The only thing getting tired in Crystal's opinion was the Enchanter bullying others into satisfying his craving for adrenaline. Whatever. He didn't have anything to prove to either of the other Awakened and as for the Acanthus: well, Crystal knew that he wouldn't even piss on Puck if he was on fire. Much less attempt to safe him from any dinosaurs.

2 successes

Of course Crystal learned how to play nice. He shrugged in a defeated manner and smiled at Puck. "All right, you caught me - I'm scared. But hey, with the first Talon at our side it couldn't be too bad, right? I'm right behind you." Maybe the learning experience his Mentor tried to sell him was the enlightenment of not giving a shit about the loudest guy in the room. Yeah, Crystal could live with that thought.

Willpower 2/6
    Mana 5/10

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Puck Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Phew!

That would have been awkward if they had called his bluff this early. Or was he bluffing? They wouldn't know what the Fool was planning, but now it's time to act.

Crystal's fake happy face was seen right through. Puck knew he was scared already and any ruse to the contrary wasn't going to fly by the Acanthus. Phoenyx though went from smiles to jokes in no time flat. Was it the setting or was she simply growing more comfortable with the two of them? Questions for later. Now was the moment Puck had been waiting for.

Smiling ear to ear, the Acanthus opened the portal and went through.

4 suxx tell Crystal is faking it
    Date Action Roll Result
    2021-04-10 17:11:43 Puck rolls 8 to See through Crystal (Wits+Empathy) (10 Again) 7, 9, 8, 9, 1, 7, 6, 8 4 successes

12. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

PRE

Phoenys looks between the boys. Crystal seemed to be relaxing, which was good. "Fear is natural, but you cannot let it control you. Knowing what is behind one of these portals will help us predict what lies behind the others. But I will be here to protect you, and should things go really badly we can leave the Astral." Her voice was calm, certain. It was what he needed right now.

She follows Puck through the portal.

Phoenyx isn't watching for things like this - Crystal's poker face washes right over her.

14. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Crystal hesitated for a moment - he could just as well not follow the others to fuck knows where. Then he sighed and followed them. Maybe someone would be taught a lesson, after all.

Willpower 2/6
    Mana 5/10

Page 5 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread