Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(2011) A more empty corner

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Nov 4, 2020 : (2011) Sanctuary
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Nimbus: Light purple aura and a scent of freshly dug earth after a rain.
    Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Corn went to the corner with the three people to introduce himself.
    "Greetings. I am Corn. Moros, Mysterium. " he said with a smile. "I am very new to the city and I have come to introduce myself. I was led to believe from the larger group that there are some Mystagogues among the three of you gathered here. As I am new, I am not aware of the customs, obligations and regulations of the Order here or how they differ from the usual practices. I have found myself with some free time in my schedule since arriving and I could devote some hours to help fellow mages, especially from the Order.
    As far as mundane knowledge goes, I am good with geology. I am well educated in the occult, knowing a great many creation myths, local legends, astrology, secret sleeper societies that researched the supernatural and paranormal, sleeper views on alchemy, geomancy, lay lines, ghosts, etc.
    I had a passing interest for those issues even before I was awakened. After I awakened, several years ago, I tried to find more about such issues. For good or for ill, a great deal of the books are rubbish or downright lies. Either the Guardians of the Veil in general have been more effective in mudding the water than the ones I met, or the imagination of the Sleepers plus other supernatural societies have led the Sleepers to make up all kinds of things that aren't true on top of, and at times more effectively, than our efforts.
    Intrigued, I started studying superstitions more. Why do Sleepers think that a black cat crossing their path is bad luck? Why do people in the Balkans think - some of them to this day - that hiding a pair of scissors and a knife under two seats and checking which seat a pregnant woman would use has a good chance to predict the gender of her child? That kind of thing.

On the supernatural side, I am a disciple of Matter, an apprentice of Life and an initiate of Death and Fate.

If one of my fellow Mystagogues has need of my skills in his or her studies, I would be willing to help.

Furthermore, I would like to be formally introduced to the... "
    He drops the level of his voice to not be easily overheard and whispers " ... Hierophant of Sacramento or the equivalent authority. I am not yet aware whether the local order is tolerant to us using titles of the order openly or not. If the order is not hiding the titles and the persons holding such titles, please don't consider that I am a paranoid knowledge hoarder," He said as his voice progressively increased to normal volume again. "Because I am not. As a new comer I simply decide to be safe than sorry. I have heard of chapters in the Old World that aggressively guard every scrap of information about them, and I have heard of groups of Mystagogues that are as gregarious as the Free Council. Back in San Francisco, where I was several years ago, the Order was denying there was a formal meeting place for the Mysterium. Everyone knew or assumed there was one, but we kept denying it.

Apologies for taking so much of your time with my babbling, I hope I didn't bore you."
    For scene effects, see Minisheet. No monthly rituals at this time.
    Occult 4 because Mysterium is about the knowledge!

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

As much as she hated to admit it, “All information is important enough to share if it educates others to the history of a place.” Doesn’t mean she has to enjoy it, but, it was important. "History cannot be ignored or forgotten."

Sighing, “Usually not, so a bit of rare form today.” Was it because Phoenyx wasn’t present? And she makes a mental note to call the Arrow and check with her, make sure everything was ok. And a heads up that pictures were being requested now.

“We really should.”
    But thankfully, the guy seemed to catch her wave.

Corn? Interesting Shadow name, but, whatever.

“Hi, I’m Aurora and you have found the three current members of the Mysterium.” Nodding to the other two, “Oh, and Thyrsus.” In case it was important.

And then he talks. And talks.

That was a lot of information all at once, and she looks to Campanella, “Over to you.” A small playful smirk.

3. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0
    Active Spells: 1/4
    Personal Spells: 1

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Filling in the blanks at an Order meeting, that was a prospect Crystal could work with. He gave Aurora a thankful look and a smile. "You're right. We have to learn from it and use the gained knowledge to prepare and grow." Because there was a chance that it wasn't over, or that the Seer's would attack again. As disinterested as he might come across some times, Crystal very much cared about himself and he wasn't going to die from lack of information.

When the Moros came over Crystal was intrigued at first. More Mystagogues meant more like-minded Awakened. But then he had to listen to what felt like the story of this guy's life, uncut. Made him realize where the stereotypes came from.
    "Hey, I'm Crystal." Still presenting a winning smile, if not much else. Hell, he saved his Miss America speech for special occasions and not just any introduction. He was more than fine to let his superior deal with this.
    Health: Willpower: Mana:

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

Campanella hadn't risen from his seat. Not while there was still - the remnants of - pie to be eaten. In the end, the choice was made for the group when Corn crossed the floor and introduced himself. The Moros listened, head tilting slightly to one side as he finished the pie. A faint gleam entered his eye as the newcomer's monologue drew on - especially when he outlined an interest in Alchemy and an Arcane focus in Matter.

"Campanella, Moros of the Mysterium."

He laid aside the now empty plate and rose from the pew.

"If you came in search of the Mysterium, then you have found us. We haven't had quite so large a showing in some time."

He smiled.

"Thank you for outlining your interests so thoroughly. I am a Master of Matter myself, so I'm sure you will find like minds here, one way or another. We will be having an Order meeting shortly and we can discuss our studies more easily there."

"We have a small Athenaeum in a basement level of the Circle here. As I was explaining to Crystal here, it doesn't have much to show for it apart from a Grimoire and some curious insects that a colleague of ours discovered. Unfortunately we have little else, as for some long years our Consilium has been in a life and death struggle with the Seers of the Throne. We only just survived."

"As for authorities. There isn't one as such. I'm a Dadouchos of our Order and I believe I might be the highest ranked in the city. The Consilium is small and its population fluctuates all the time. There hasn't been much need for a structured presence to our Order - or anyone else's, I suspect, in quite some time."
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

6. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

Four Mystagogues? Hoped for more but it could be worse.
    Master of Matter? Wow, that's impressive. Not really surprising but impre...
    Mostly empty Athenaeum?! We need to fix th...
    A vicious struggle with the Seers? Oh, crap.
    No Hierophant, but he's a master of matter? Is he telling the truth or the Hierophant is hidden even from us?

Clearing his thoughts, Corn addressed Campanela in particular, but all mystagogues in general.
    "That's a lot to take in Dadouche Campanela. You certainly don't mince words. You mentioned a war with the Seers of the Throne and that the persons here are the ones that survived.
    Forgive me for being so bold but... did we win? I have loved ones, sleepers, that are in places the Seers may reach and have no ability do defend themselves from the supernatural nor any idea that the supernatural exists. I would like to know whether they are in any immediate danger. I spoke with Talon Skye earlier and she mentioned nothing about Seers of the Throne although, admittedly, I didn't spend a lot of time with the gathered mages to ask.

While a war with the Seers and their minions is a grave matter, our order's interests should include, in my opinion of course, slowly building up the Athenaum. I am not fully aware how Athenaum is defined in Sacramento, but to my knowledge the Athenaum doesn't have to include only majestic information. I was planning to write a paper on superstitions, about 20-22 pages -including references- on alchemical practices of the sleepers and present it to the order for peer review and if it is up to the standards of the order it could be put in the Athenaum.
    Personally, I don't think the information should just be inside our heads. If there is no library, we can start building one. "

Addressing everyone from the gathered Mystagogues, Corn said
    "If you have a different subject that you would prefer me to pursue, or even better a subject you would be willing to write with me, I am taking suggestions."

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

“Exactly. I may not enjoy reliving the past, but those here and now need to know about it.” Had she grown from it? Maybe. But she didn’t really feel like it.

Since Campy shared his Mastery knowledge, she felt ok to share hers, “I’m a Master of Life should you need help in those studies.” Might as well throw it out there. Mastery was always found out one way or another.

Shrugging, “Define win.” She says plainly before finishing off her drink. Was this guy newly Awakened? Maintaining contact with family was never a good idea. They were tools and weakness to be used against the Awakened. So she says nothing on the matter, that was on him.

Writing a paper? Peer review?

Eyes look to Campy with question. Did she miss something when joining the Mysterium?

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Walls and the Floor become slightly tilted, there's a sickly sweet and sharp smell in the air. Faintly, the sound chains (and even fainter: the sound of leather) can be heard. More powerful spells make the sounds more pronounced and colors seem to pulsate.
    Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

With everyone talking about their masteries Crystal just listened. He didn't have any successes to write home about when it came to Supernal studies. Did he neglect them a bit too much lately? Maaaybe, but he figured if he just looked confidently then noone would question him on that just now.

Corn apparently had the same questions Crystal had, just more verbose. Since he already got the summary of that and the strong impression that it was indeed a touchy subject, he decided to not chime in on that again. Still, the Mastigos felt validated in asking for more information now, validated in asking for an Order meeting. Also, he felt like it was neccessary to get them on a shared page about what this Mysterium was about. He agreed on expanding the Athenaum, but he didn't drop out of college to write papers now.

"Wow, that's impressive." There was certainly no sarcasm in Crystal's voice and he quickly went on before anyone could think otherwise. "I mean, it can't hurt to pursue mundane knowledge if there's no rumours of more exotic things to find. I will let you know once I'm reaching a presentable point in my studies." Which meant actually sitting down and doing them, not just having the book open in the room while he was hooking up.

10. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

Campanella listened, letting his eyebrows raise.

"Very well said, Corn. I've been trying to rebuild the Athenaum for some time now. It is difficult during a time of mystical conflict and I'm hopeful that the peace we have currently will be conducive to returning to our studies once more. By all means, if you find the time and means, you may indeed look to building up a Library."

"I don't see why you can't leave a copy of your finished paper with us, regardless. With so few of us there has never been a pressing need for presenting papers. I am, however, quite amenable once you have it completed. As I said, with our numbers in constant flux, it has been difficult to coordinate the more... traditional... functions of our Order."

He let his gaze move from the other Moros to Aurora and he hoped the action would give the Shaman a little sense of calm. She had joined the Order during the Time War. All she had ever witnessed was a war footing and tenacious survival; he could blame her surprise when some of the Order's truly academic side was revealed.

"If you wish to collaborate on a project, that is up to you."

His head swivelled, switching between Corn and Crystal
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

12. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    Status (academic)
    Corn

Status (Academics) 1.
    Corn Scenes

Duplication cost
      Analyze life
     Improvised out-of-path, 

PRE

" I will be more than happy to collaborate with Crystal, if he wants. Are we allowed to visit the Athenaum at any time? If yes, I would like to work from there when writing about issues the Sleepers should not see. No internet access and I would leave my work in an external hard drive to continue next time I am available. That way, there would be nothing in my laptop should it be stolen. If that is not possible, I could work from my sanctum of course and bring CDs or DVDs with my findings when I have something concrete.

However, as Crystal has mentioned, mundane sources of knowledge are nice and good - in the absence of more exotic things. I assure you, I don't underestimate the worth of a paper on sources that could shorten research time when knowledge is needed the faster the better. But something more exotic than a DVD with papers and reviews of sources would also be good for the order.
    I wouldn't know where to start looking though, and I would appreciate some guidance. Is there anything that you think I should be looking for or researching for? I don't mind acquiring some elbow grease or grime under the nails in order to help the mage society.
    "

The last question was directed to all his Mysterium peers.

14. Likes Aeolus liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Manipulation
    (Disarming)
    Resources
    Barfly
    Eidetic Memory
    Crystal

Nimbus

Active Stats

Astral Dive II
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +/-0

[2] Third Eye
    [4R] Misperception

+1
    SL
    PRE

Oh no, this was really happening. He was being set up to study with the way too intense - not to mention wordy - Moros. Then again, that might just have been what the doctor ordered. A glint was in Crystal's eyes as he was put on the spot. "Yeah, that sounds super awesome. Let's pool our efforts. Uh, do you have anything in mind?" There was a strange mix of paranoia and carelessness about Corn - mentioning his family literal minutes after he'd introduced himself for instance - and hanging out together may be an opportunity to pick his brains.

Campanella mentioned that there was no agenda currently, which led to the believe that there were no traces or leads towards anything interesting as of yet. That was going to be a problem, because Crystal didn't want to blindly dig around town - he had way better things to do with his time. Not that he could think of any on the spot, but they were there.
    "Daduchos Campanella mentioned that the Consilium's Guardian had something he wanted to look into." Raised eyebrows indicated that that's all the Mastigos knew about that.

16. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread