Ended
Watch

Hot Potato Issues

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    A
    Abraham Norton

"Well, I try my best" is his collective answer to all the praise Sera heaped on him just now. It was true, he wasn't the most Humble of Them All, but there is easily detectable humility in his voice in this moment. A distant memory of a feeling like that appears, of the day he first met Sasha at the Mirror Maze. Queens must have that effect on him. Right. Of course.

He can't help but look a bit surprised that Sera'd rather invest the Pledge in her very nature than her Court affiliation, but at the end of the day it makes little difference to him, and besides - the knight-errant is in no position to argue. So he just nods, clears his throad and begins anew.

"On that what makes us Fairest of Them All, the body and spirit that is both a burden and a blessing, may our words reveal none of what we choose to share today until the season turns, unless the other gives us permission. If we uphold this promise, may we be blessed with understanding of one's mind and soul. If we don't - may misfortune claim our fates"

Silence falls, but Abraham does not let it linger for long "Is that better?"

Type: Corporal, Seeming Emblem
    Task: Forbiddance, Lesser (-1, will not reveal the contents of this discussion to others without permission)
    Boons: Adroitness (+1, Empathy Skill)
    Sanction: Curse, Medial (-2)
    Duration: Season (+2)

If Sera agrees, Abraham seals the Pledge with 1 WP (see previous post for power icon)

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Softly shimmering gold flakes catch the light whenever she moves, delicate gilded and diamond scales extenuate the luminescent sapphires that are her eyes. The ocean lives in Sera's eyes, perfectly cut sapphires, gleam in the light. Deeper shades always shifting like the tide. The scales trail up to her temples and forehead. Her hair reaches down her back, brushing the back of her calves, spun silver and gold. Perfectly placed streaks of sea green are seen throughout her hair. Very fine diamond dust falls loose from her hair when she moves, reflecting rainbows from the light. The scales on her hands are dulled by the simple fact that her hands are translucent. There was an iridescent scale like skin that pulled delicately up from her ears. The membrane shimmered and created three curly points.
    Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Cherry blossoms gilded in gold bloom from her hair, tumbling down as a warm rejuvenating spring breeze gently kisses the air with the scent of freshly cut grass. The sound of birds singing can be heard as the wildflowers grow and bloom in vibrant colors where she walks, swaying and lively in the breeze.
    Sera's hands and lower legs are translucent while the rest of her has cracks
    Seraphina

Mask
    A fairly tall woman, roughly 5'11 with long, wavy dark brown hair. Her eyes are an intense, deep bright blue, reminding one of sapphires. Her lips are full and her skin is flawless. With that perfection comes a body that men fawn and drool over, and women envy.

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Tear dropped shaped pendant, form fitted waterfall jacket

Misc.

-3 to any rolls involving Presence

Jewelry

Ring on right ring finger...the gold band matches her gilded golden skin, the blue sapphire matches her eyes and the diamonds her scales
    Seraphina Scenes
      -1 Glamour into Wyrdstone
      Dreaming, -1 WP to analyze, WP to hold Dream together, Dreamscape

(-1 Willpower for Pledge)Willpower 1 Spent
    +2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

“Maybe we can meet up again sometime and you can tell me more tales of your adventures.” There was clear interest in her voice, “I’d offer to cook, but, well, I’m not what type of insurance we have here.” She says with a laugh. But truth be told, she wanted to learn to cook.

A smile and nod, “It is, thank you.” It felt more natural to her.

She will repeat the words he spoke, sealing the Pledge with her own power.

The Pledge agreed upon and sworn, she looks to Abraham. "Think we are set to proceed."

Sera repeats the Pledge and seals it with 1 WP

Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

A
    Abraham Norton

"I'll be happy to. Maybe, if it'll be a good day, most of them will be the real ones" He laughs. Certainly, Abraham had much excitement going for him in the past, but there was also an entire host of stories he's either slightly embellished, blown out to outlandish proportions or just straight made up.

The Pledge goes off without a hitch, and the Flowering's face is painted with relief. Onerous though the oath may be, it also provides a sense of security, being watched over by a higher power.

"We are" And yet, the knight-errant takes unnaturally long to continue. For some time, he can cover up the silence with eating and drinking, allowing Sera to do the same, but eventually the quiet becomes too much to bear "Do you ever stop to think what it means to be a Fairest? I do... or started to, recently. On the one hand, it seems like a pretty sweet deal - compared to the others we had a comfortable Durance, we've got the looks, the love, the magic that makes sure we can't be touched unless we want to... and yet"

Yet.

"Sometimes I can't help but feel like a poison, a cancer. Like every single one of us is the mini version of our Keepers, just waiting for the right moment to mold a Freehold into our own playground or die trying. The cruelty of the Gentry is within all of us, that's a fact. Most of the time we can control it, and it even allows us to act without hesitation, or be self-aware enough to set a positive example. But what happens when we don't control it? Can we even tell the difference between a genuine need for a strong hand and acting on a whim or through a sense of entitlement?" How much of what he's done over the last few months, what he believes knows to have been done with fair intentions was just that tiny piece of Arcadia talking?

"You know what I wrote on that rice paper we dipped in the Salt Well, back in Winter? 'Home'. That's what I want. It explains a lot of the reasoning behind the Wardens, the motley, me acting like a dick in the Grounds and during both Spring meetings... all of it. My time in Arcadia gave me gifts I couldn't imagine, and I try to use them to the common benefit as best I can. And yet I am terrified that those very same gifts may one day destroy all of it"

The knight-errant falls silent again.

"I don't think I'm making a lot of sense, do I?"

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Softly shimmering gold flakes catch the light whenever she moves, delicate gilded and diamond scales extenuate the luminescent sapphires that are her eyes. The ocean lives in Sera's eyes, perfectly cut sapphires, gleam in the light. Deeper shades always shifting like the tide. The scales trail up to her temples and forehead. Her hair reaches down her back, brushing the back of her calves, spun silver and gold. Perfectly placed streaks of sea green are seen throughout her hair. Very fine diamond dust falls loose from her hair when she moves, reflecting rainbows from the light. The scales on her hands are dulled by the simple fact that her hands are translucent. There was an iridescent scale like skin that pulled delicately up from her ears. The membrane shimmered and created three curly points.
    Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Cherry blossoms gilded in gold bloom from her hair, tumbling down as a warm rejuvenating spring breeze gently kisses the air with the scent of freshly cut grass. The sound of birds singing can be heard as the wildflowers grow and bloom in vibrant colors where she walks, swaying and lively in the breeze.
    Seraphina

Mask
    A fairly tall woman, roughly 5'11 with long, wavy dark brown hair. Her eyes are an intense, deep bright blue, reminding one of sapphires. Her lips are full and her skin is flawless. With that perfection comes a body that men fawn and drool over, and women envy.

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Misc.

Jewelry

Ring on right ring finger...the gold band matches her gilded golden skin, the blue sapphire matches her eyes and the diamonds her scales
    Seraphina Scenes

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

Smiling, “Well, real or fake, they’re a lot of fun to hear!” she enjoyed them. Or maybe it was the way Abraham seemed to make them come alive in your mind.

The quiet wasn’t an issue for her. Sometimes they needed time to think, to form sentences, or to just be alone with their thoughts. His words, and topic of choice were surprising, “Now that you mention it, I haven’t spent much time thinking about in a while. But I don’t think we all had a comfortable Durance.” She didn’t, well, at least from what she could remember.

And yet?

She listens, concerned. “Really? You feel like that? That has to feel horrible.” Pain in her voice. “Personally, I believe we can become like our Keepers, if we allow it. The cruelty is something that can be given into. And if we can’t?” she looked thoughtful for a moment, “I’m not sure. I’m sure there are those that have given into it, brought a Freehold to its knees and devastated those around them. It’s a battle we all have, and I don’t think it’s just a Fairest battle.” Anyone was capable of being cruel. “What brought about these thoughts if you don’t mind me asking.” It just seemed like something set it off. Or it could always be there. “That’s a difficult question. I do know a sense of entitlement only benefits one person, the one with the need for the entitlement. And a strong hand? In what? I’m not sure how to answer you.” Or if she could.

Home. A word that meant different things to different people.

“What does home mean for you?” she asks. “Your fears about your gifts are understandable. What we’re able to do can do so much good, but can do so much damage at the same time. A delicate line to walk.” There was concern in her voice.

“Honestly, some of it doesn’t make much sense to me. But I think it’s because I don’t have the whole story, so it’s hard to say anything. But you sound like you’re going through something, something that's painful.”

Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

A
    Abraham Norton

He shrugs "Far as I can tell, I spent my time in Arcadia as a heroic poem character. It wasn't always nice, but beats being hunted like an animal or used as human fuel" Certainly, there was a fair share of physical abuse in the Durance of most, if not all, Unicorns, but not quite like the other Seemings had it "Not the point, though. Mileage, variation, yadda yadda yadda"

"True, all Lost have the capability to be mad and callous, especially as they age and grow in power. But with how fragile our balance can be? 'Slippery slope' doesn't begin to describe it" Other Seemings had their own battles, sure. But the cross the Muses must bear each day is a particularly insidious one "That's what I'm scared of. That it won't be a conscious decision, but a series of small things that snowball out of control" And yes, if there's some fear all, or most, Lost have in common it's the fear of losing one's agency. He shrugs at the next question "I have periods of self-reflection. Don't you?"

It's a bit surprising that, of all things, he has to explain the need for a steady hand to guide others. Then again, takjing his own stance for granted is exactly the thing he wishes to escape, so... "Consider the duality of the Seasons. Summer is both gentle sunrays and scorching fires, Autumn means both harvest and deadly thunderstorms. Winter's snow can be fresh and soft in one moment, only to transform into an avalanche in another. Finally, Spring is heralded by delicate dew on a meadow just as surely as it is by floods and tornadoes" The parallel might be a little overextended, but if nothing else, it has some poetic quality "There's nothing wrong with that. It's just nature. Likewise, all of us who draw strength from our Seasonal connections must sometimes call on its more... destructive side. To protect ourselves, and others"

The question of what he considers home gives him a bit of a pause. 'Home' is, after all, one of these terms that are used so often that everyone assumes they know what it means, until the moment they are directly asked about it.

"Honestly? Home equals safety. A place where there's no need to stand vigil, because everyone you feel responsible for is secure enough to pursue their own Desires without looking over their shoulders. Where I can fade into the background, forget how to swing a sword, or track Hedgebeasts" He stops "Obviously, it's impossible to attain. The Gentry will never leave us be, and there will always be other dangers. But if I was chasing only after the things I can get, I'd make a very poor knight-errant" He smirks. There's also something romantic to that pursuit and, in all honesty, that's an attractive trait on its own.

"I know I sound like I'm falling apart at the seams, but I'm not" There's a good amount of resolve pured in that last word "I'm not going to have a 'woe is me' moment in the middle of an emergency, scout's honor" he tries to lighten up the mood a bit, and even laughs, although there's little mirth in the sound "Just wanted to air it out, if for no other reason then to double down on keeping it under control"

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Seraphina

Mask

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Misc.

Jewelry

Seraphina Scenes

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

There was a nod of agreement, “That slope can be terrifying. Plus, who is going to stop us from taking that path? Is that something Motleys can strive to do for each other? Or does that fall to Monarchs?” and how do you stop it once its begun? “It’s a valid concern. But how does one address the concern? There has to be something we, as Lost, can actively do to monitor something like that. And self-reflection? All the time. When I first arrived here, I had nothing. After feeling sorry for myself, I took the time to reflect on what I wanted in this life. I set small goals, and if I failed them, I reflected on why I failed. Then moved forward, never dwelling on the failures, only taking away a lesson. And I'm still doing it, after sparring and losing, getting injured, I needed to reflect on it. How would it change me, how could I improve. But self-reflection is important to growing as a person.” To her it was.

“There’s nothing wrong that. I’ve just personally preferred to use the more, as you put it, destructive side, when there are no other options. I will bring everything I have to defend and protect those I care about. But I’m just not someone who feels the need to resort to, as you said, tornado side, of our Season. If I can avoid things turning violent, that’s the path I’ll take. There will be times when it’s needed, but not all the time. I’ve seen enough violence.” More than enough.

A sad smile, “Wouldn’t that be great.” Though she feared there was no place like that for them. “It’s too bad we can’t find a place to allow us to have that. Forget how to swing a sword?” the concern returning to her voice, “Do you not enjoy being a Knight? If you don’t, why do you do it?” was it some honor thing?

A small smile, “Well, I’m glad you’re not falling apart at the seams. You’re a valuable member of the not only the Season, but the Freehold as well. And since you said scouts honor, I believe you.” She tries to joke as well, “But jokes aside, I couldn’t see you falling apart in an emergency. That doesn’t sound like something you would do.” He seemed dedicated to keeping the Freehold safe. “Sometimes airing it out and just talking about it helps. And even if you don’t believe me, I want to help if I can. Even if it means simply sitting here and listening."
    Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

A
    Abraham Norton

"Well, the Contract of Lucidity can help. Some protection against madness can be woven into Pledges, like Rhodes tried to do with the Freehold Pledge. I have also heard Dream therapy can be useful for treating traumas like that, but I'm hardly an expert" It felt good to propose solutions, having confidence that something can be done, that fatalism is not the only way "Of course, regular human contact helps as well" And is the most readily available medicine, but like most medicine its taste is bittersweet at best.

"See? There's a difference!" He looks relieved at the newly-found clarity. A similar deduction began to form some time ago, but it was nice to have it put in plain language "I tend to be more forceful in my approach. I can be subtle when I want to, just like you can be... stringent, but that's just the way I roll. I'd argue both approaches are valid, as long as we know their place and time" 'A time to kill and a time to heal' as the Good Book teaches. Abraham was decidedly better at that first part, and liked it that way.

"Oh, I do enjoy it very much - wouldn't exchange it for anything. But just like it is my Desire to be the best knight I can be, it is also a matter of duty. I do not shirk from that fight, just like Mother Susan didn't, but if struggle was the beginning and end of my life I'd pledge allegiance to the Iron Spear"
    And, while he respected and shared some of the Crimson sentiments and philosophies, the path of Summer was not his to follow.

As Sera, once again, assures him of his worth to the Court and Freehold, Abraham can't help but glower - but only for a second or two. It's a doubt that will never quite leave him, at least in the present circumstances - just how much of all these assurances is magical thinking? Therefore, he's happy to change the subject - or try to "I think that helped. Thanks. Anyway, I'm just about done feeling sorry for myself, so I'd like to hear a bit more about..." The Flowering's eyes wander to the Spring Queen's gloves for a moment, in lieu of using words. What phrase would be fitting here, anyway? 'Condition?' 'Power?' Not wanting to miss his mark, Abraham lets context do the talking.

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Seraphina

Mask

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Misc.

Jewelry

Seraphina Scenes

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

“I haven’t really looked into those Contracts. And I’m familiar with Dream therapy, but not a whole lot.” That was beyond her grasp right now. “But perhaps there’s someone in the Freehold with the Contracts of Lucidity, and if not, then maybe someone should look into it. Having that available could be very valuable.”

She had to chuckle. “I believe both approaches are valid and each are important. Which is why I think working together is so very important. Where I lack, you excel.” She knew her weaknesses, knew them well.

Listening, “So it’s one of those things that has its positives and negatives.” Which was common with a lot of things. “Does joining the Hedge Wardens help with your Desire to be the best knight you can be? If not, do you know what would help?” she was curious if the Wardens gave him what he wanted.

Smiling, “You’re welcome. I might not have all the answers, but I can always listen and try.” Having all the answers just wasn’t her thing. She follows his eyes and nods, “I did say I would share, and I will.” She removes both the gloves, allowing her translucent hands to be seen. “I had been spending time trying to help some women at a local shelter with their Dreams. Trying to change the Dreamscape for them, help their nightmares. I was approached in a Dream by the Order of the Oneirophysics and offered a place within the ranks. I’m now able to heal people in their Dreams. And this,” she holds up her hands, “is a side effect of sorts. Spending time in the Dreamscape can, diminish, my presence in the waking world. Overtime, it will spread. So yeah, if you get seriously wounded, I can tend to those wounds in a Dream, heal you.”
    Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

A
    Abraham Norton

"Of course it helps - the fringe benefits alone are considerable, but the biggest upside? It keeps you on track - I suppose beyond the magic that's the biggest role all Entitlements have" Changelings go to great lengths to structure their life, and for good reason - the Courts, Coronations, Pledges and yes, Entitlements, provide a secure existence but also make sure you don't lose your mind... too early.

And then she... explains. Oneirophysics? Healing though Dreams? While he is not one to call such things beyond the pale of fae magics, it is still hard to take in "I... I have so many questions I don't even know where to start. You said you were recruited? Is this... Order observing Sacramento?" It's not that Abraham doesn't like some eyes on him, it's all about the difference between 'audience' and 'spy' "This side effect. You said it will spread? How long until it covers you whole? Does it have any effect other than changing your appearance?" It was a disconcerting thought that the Spring Queen's essence is not lost, but moved... but to where? And for what purpose? "And you said you can heal wounds of the body in a Dream? How does that even work?"

It may seem like a lot of questions, and really - it is. In Abraham's defense, his Entitlement confined its activities to the Hedge and was pretty straightforward at that - maintain a Trod, clear Hedgebeast's lairs and Loyalist outposts, cut new paths in the Thorns... honest work. Leaving both your mind and body under the care of a mystic organization you know nothing about? No sir. That's why there's so much worry and concern in the knight-errant's voice.

"I'm sorry. I know you wouldn't join them if you didn't think they are not a threat to the Freehold. But I'd be remiss if I didn't ask these questions. It's a matter of safety"

Seraphina
    Presence
    (Magnetic)
    Striking Looks
    (Enthralling)
    Distinctive Voice
    (Angelic)
    New Identity
    (Sarah Jones)
    Mantle (Spring)
    (In Mini Sheet)
    Seraphina

Mien

Seraphina

Fairest

Nix/Treasured
    Mantle

Seraphina

Mask

Health Tracker

Haunted House
    Items

Hedgespun Items

Misc.

Jewelry

Seraphina Scenes

+2
    SL
    +2
    DV
    PRE

Treasured Nix

Then came the questions, which she sort of expected. “I kind of figured there would be questions. I don’t know if they’ve been observing Sacramento. I only know I was approached in a Dream, and I would rather have them watching me than someone else.” They weren’t there to harm. She then nods, “It will, as I become more proficient and rise in the ranks, more of my body will match my hands. My hands are still there, still solid, so there is no real ill effect." just a more personal effect.

"Well, Lost are able to, through Oneiromacey, help someone heal to a certain extent. What I am able to do takes it a step further. I can heal everything from simple wounds, stopping a bleed out to saving a life. Depending on the path I take with it, I could even heal mental wounds. For example, as I’ve used these abilities on humans, I am able to make bone and muscle knit back together, treat illnesses and toxins.”
    She then shrugs, “I’m not entirely sure how it works, I just know I can go into the Dreamscape and heal.” The more detailed answer was private, only for those of the Order. And it could be used to harm, of course. But that wasn’t Sera’s way.

“But how does any of this work?” gesturing to all around them. “The only thing I know for certain is it feels wonderful to be able to help heal those around me.” Almost like she felt this was what she was meant to do.

“I understand your concern, and I had my own concerns. And while there have been those that have used their gifts were bad, it’s rare. As the Order actively seeks them out and puts an end to it. Our job is to heal the Lost around us who need it. To render aide to those who have been wounded defending and protecting. Lets face it, in the Hedge, you’ll bleed out before escaping. But with someone like me with you, I can enter your Dream, or your unconscious mind, and stop the bleed out and heal you, giving us a chance to get you out and live. If they were out to cause harm, I think they’re going about it the wrong way.” But his concerns were valid.

“Did you have your concerns about the Wardens?”
    Treasured/Nix Wyrd●●●●

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 18

You do not have permission to view the list of names.