Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nathaniel's first 'meeting' of the Occult Club had gone well enough. A few individuals, but that was nothing new- every weird posting was bound to attract a few people. Now it was time to see if the idea would stick. The A similar posting, a similar time of the month, and the same materials- though this time Nathaniel had a few books on Astrology, Angels and Demons, really basic stuff sold more as novelty than serious research. Still, anyone with no knowledge of the occult whatsoever to find an interest.

Curious and in the search for Others? Aliens, Demons, Ghosts?! Me too. Join the Occult Club and discuss Supernatural Theory!

A terrible pitch, but it'd work for anyone curious enough.

Sitting in wait, Nathaniel once more sat down to see if anyone would take an interest.

2. Likes Origins liked this post
    Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

(Harden the mask)Glamour 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Ciao? Questo è il posto giusto per i mostri credenti? A pleasant voice questions. A blonde woman stuck her head inside to look around. She was attired in denim shorts, a red blazer, matching sneakers, and a t-shirt with a interesting logo. From the height and angle Circe is clearly leaning on the door frame, obscuring half her torso.

Which means the folio isn't visible to Nathaniel.

Nathaniel however is quite visible to Circe, who waves with the hand not supporting her on the door, "Ciao!, this where the cryptid club congregates today? Or is that in a different room? Cause that'd be awkward by a bit."

This whole thing seemed silly to her. A being that WAS supernatural and not some crackpot who thought underground aliens were preaching religion to her. But there was a chance the mortals might have stumbled on something, again, that was dangerous. Best to nip it in the bud. And if she brought a certain semi-exile in to help garner him some brownie points, well that was just being neighborly.
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

He had expected to meet a lot of... out there... personalities. But this latest arrival?...

"Errr... Yeah! Are you interested in studying supernatural theory? Aliens, demons, ghosts, all that fun stuff?" Nathaniel was very interested in the more extrovert personality, a clear cut away from the two quite individuals from earlier.

"I wanted to discuss the application of supernatural powers manifesting in physical objects, and the possibility of the 'Others' existing in some other, alternate space... Like a limbo on top of our own world?.... Er... Any of that interest you?" He wanted to come here with a new topic every day. Fetches were the means by which Werewolves empowered everyday objects- how likely was it, that 'Others' utilized similar mean?.... Myth and Legend contained countless magical weapons. Some of them might be true.

5. Likes Origins liked this post
    Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Oh, good!" Circe says with a grin as she slides away from the door frame, her folio now visible as she enters the room, "Yeah sure. Be weird," she laughs, "If I didn't and was here don't ya think? We expectin' more ta show up or am I really early?"

Circe walks up to look at the books. Astrology? What did that have to do with the occult? Wasn't that for the ancient navigating boats or something? Then she heard what he was talking about. Her poker face was quite good as she kept the grin on her face. Well that was really close to home. And with what happened to that detective and probabel Fetch earlier, this could be bad. "Limbo I'm guessin' ya don't mean the game but like the way Dan Akroyd needed goggles ta see some spooks?"

Better to steer it towards fiction for examples. Or make him hunt ghosts as that was way safer then investigating the actual world layered atop the Real World. Boy oh boy was this mortal hitting close to home on the Hedge and Tokens. This guy must have no idea how dangerous things in the night could be. "Empowering objects sound like a fun topic," and Circe had certainly not said so because she was tryin' to learn to do just that from Cole. Not being self centered at all most certainly not, "Yer hopin' ta find Excalibur or something like that? Actually," she rubs her chin, "That'd be fanculo awesome ta find. We should totally try ta find Excalibur!"

Then after a pause she decides to ask him something, "Wait a minute. We, uh, don't need ta fill out name tags or shit like that do we?" This was finished off with a pout to imply she really didn't want to do that.
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

The woman seemed quite boisterous- not that Nathaniel minded. His image of the Occult Club wasn't red robes and hushed whispers- it was explorers, seekers of something beyond! Though in the young pup's case he already knew there was something beyond mortal scope; he just hoped some mortals might help him uncover the secrets of them.

"Haha, yeah that's fair. Umm not sure if anyone else is coming? Didn't really send any invites. What's that, some occult stuff?" The portfolio she carried around- pictures? Sketches? Maps? All could hold value to the occult, and he would be quite overjoyed if someone came prepared for a topic of discussion.

She seemed to get what he meant by Limbo- though with every talk on separate planes of existence Nathaniel had to make sure to watch himself. "Something like that; like... what if ghosts occupy a sort of space atop our own, and only the powerful ones can push through between them? Or maybe it takes strong emotions, like the old 'you have to have unfinished business' deal? Postulating what method such a being might use to remain or cross over into this plane might allow for experimentation to confirm the existence of the beings and, with luck, the space they reside."

A similar vein from last meeting's discussion. Nathaniel already knew the Shadow was a thing- knew that alternate planes of existence were POSSIBLE. If there were "Others," aside from the spirits and werewolves, then it wasn't outside the bounds of reason to think they might have a similar space. It would also explain why they didn't run rampant- Spirits caused trouble, sure, but they had a world of their own serving as a prison/home. If ghosts or demons had a similar space it could give an explanation as to why lords from the depths of Heck weren't lording over civilization.

Ah! She understood the idea of magical items. Excalibur was a common example, and if such a thing ACTUALLY existed (which, frankly, was entirely possible- a powerful spirit of Destiny or perhaps Legend could have been put into a blade at some point- not even including the possibility of other magical means), it would no doubt be worth study- and the desire to find the blade elicited a friendly laugh. "Ehhh don't think I'll be able to fund any expeditions like that anytime soon. But it's totally possible other things with legendary or historic value might be found, right?! I mean, almost everything has a magical variant in legends, and there are plenty of places to look; abandoned mine shafts, abandoned buildings, graveyards... I don't even know how we'd DETECT such a thing, but it'd be EPIC right?!" Nathaniel was pondering now. Ohhhh Boy.

"Well to find a magical item or object it stands to reason some type of energy has to encompass it right? Or something "Other" powering it? I mean I suppose it doesn't HAVE to but if it didn't we wouldn't be able to know at all SO for the sake of theory let's assume there IS some force within these things. All that one would have to do is apply a method to seek out such a thing... Which is easier said than done. The second option would be to actually use the object in question, though how you'd even know you'd utilized such a thing is beyond me. Like, if you accidentally use a magic pen that makes your writing neater do you have a suspicion that it's magic?" Yes, Nathaniel had. More than once.

And the idea of a putting a spirit inside a pen for academic purposes was interesting to Nathaniel.

The Fiery Forgemaster
    Strength
    Composure
    (Wrath's fire can break any metal.)
    Status
    (Arms Dealers)
    Cole Volker

An average man with a few scars and burns, in the mask his skin is a faint grey color and his veins seem to glow at times.

PRE

INSERT SCOTTISH SWEARING

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Mein:

Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Circe Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

The folio? She nods, "A few things. Herbs, spices, and minerals of magical and anti magical lore. Leyline crap too. Plus pictures of the freaks from Fresno," she puts the folio down for later. Herbs and spices were a good description as most could also be used in cooking. "And note paper fer notes. Call me a scout, right?" She gives a little victory V with her right hand. The leylines were fiction to Circe as they'd had nothing to do with the Hedge, gates or otherwise. Probably magnetic fields or something scientific like that.

Circe gave him a skeptical look at the part about ghosts and pushing through. It was dangerously close to Fae but They had no trouble popping in and our of reality. Plus she'd heard from some Darklings that ghosts were legit. It did make her curious though. If ghosts had their own little world just as the Fae did, what else could go bump in the night?

Unlikely. If there was somebody would have found and aimed them at the Keepers. Or maybe that did happen and the other bumpers got bumped off. "Dude? I have seen those movies where the explorers go inta Hell or wherever. Those films tend ta be the everybody dies variety," she folds her arms, "I will ditch this group if ya try fer field trips."

Legends are stories. Stories are powerful with the Wyrd. A powerful enough story can mesmerize Them or create a Token. Whose to say a mortal weapon with a grand story around it couldn't gain power? That actually was an idea. Circe nods along with Nathan, "Yes it would be epic, but a pen dude? A magic pen sounds like something fer a kids' show. But that word. Legends." She smiles, "It gives me an idea," she holds up her left hand in a stop motion. "When ya hear magical weapon," she grins as her hand moves to emphasize her words, "Ya think forged from sky metal in the fires of Mount Doom." Circe smiles as she lowers her hand while looking at Nathan, "But whose ta say stories don't give power? Maybe Excalibur was just a good piece of steel. But by the deeds of Arthur it became something. More," she deepens her voice to emphasize the last word.

"If so, imagine the sword of Baldwin, the White Death's rifle, or the Red Baron's plane would be something better then another version of them." It was a possibility. Hurt by them likely being museum pieces but still a possibility. To the elfin Larcenist it made sense that a legendary figure should wield legendary items.

Tokens were created not just by their parts but by something more. As far as she knew, Circe only had a glimpse of Hedgespinning currently. Nothing said a mortal object couldn't achieve the same through other means. Though a frown marred her face as she considered it possible that such a process might restrict these magical benefits to the original wielder.

As far as finding magical stuff was concerned Circe knew a few things in her research. Primarily that ghost hunting tools did jack for detecting the fae. It was all tape recorders and magnets. Or something. What was it anyway? "Geiger counter?" she mumbled. Before realizing she said it out loud. "Ha ha, just thinkin' of how ta detect juju. First thing I thought of. Good idea to in case that," she makes air quotes, "Magical star metal blade of legend was made of radium or some shit. How do ghost hunters try ta find spooks? Or voodoo do it?"

Circe then snaps her finger, "Yeah! Don't work from scratch when ya can others have done the work for ya." Whatever else she was going to say was stopped by a sound outside. A clearly Scottish accent with possibly some Gaelic thrown into the mix. Circe laughs at this tangent. Louldy, "Oh ho ho ho ho! Somebody is havin' a bad time."

ooc: IDK if Cole is actually joining the thread or if that post was accidental. Either way I find the idea of someone cussing loudly while passing by amusing.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

"anti magical lore? Like exorcisms? Supernatural Defense Theory is another branch we could discuss. We could easily look to texts and legends to find potential methods- maybe some of those herbs could act as wards against malicious forces? As for leylines, if such a thing does exist I image there would be some pattern to look for. Maybe looking into historical events, or geographical data? Though in the latter I am sorely unprepared." Nathaniel wasn't at all dumb- in fields academic or scientific or occult he was quite talented. But, he was also unfocused in regards to any of those things.

Her worry at finding hell was justified. Nathaniel had to keep in mind that, should such a place exist, any human companions on the trip would be sorely unprepared to combat it. To be fair, being a massive regenerating tank of a wolf didn't make you IMMUNE to any supernatural whatsits. But it would probably help, more than a squishy human. "haha right. Right. I don't have the crew or the means to fund such a thing anyways- maybe we should stick to trying to find ghosts?" On this, she seemed to suggest a... Geiger counter? the young pup actually hadn't considered that. It might have been brilliant.

"You know the effects of radiation have been tested here, but I'd say it's impossible to know what effects such energies could have on Others. It's entirely possible they might um... 'radiate'... with an energy that could be detected. If that's the case, using a geiger counter or any other energy-detecting thingies could... hm yes." Nathaniel wrote it down. Things to test for later.

She seemed to laugh at the idea of a magic pen. If only she knew some of the mundane things wolves had stuffed spirits into. Handkerchiefs, baseballs, mechanical tools... The possibilities were endless, and Nathaniel felt a bit slighted at this human's assertion that the idea was ridiculous. "Well we have to assume it comes from SOMEWHERE right? Or, something at the very least. Maybe Excalibur was just some God's steering the wheel? And since these er.. 'Other' items... We need a cool term for those. Hang on a second."

Nathaniel jotted a bunch of cool sounding names. Entity Emittent Reliquary?... Other-Emitting Object?... "I've got it! Entity-Charged Object. ECO! should it be pronounced 'eco' or 'echo'? ANYWAYS! If these things come from something or somewhere, it stands to reason that the objects match the times right? Why would a magical sword exist in the modern era?" Well, Nathaniel knew why. Glaives were a heck of a thing.

"Though you might also be right about the idea of events or mortal energies charging these objects. Might also explain the idea of curses associated with Egyptian tombs? If our actions or beliefs or whatnot can shape the physical, why not also the Other?"

It was fun, theorizing. It also charged Nathaniel with new fields of study. Geology and Geography? Energetics? Mortuaries and Mystical objecs associated with them? The community college offered some courses that could assist in these matters. It would be simple enough to sign up for a few... if Nathaniel could afford it.

"I ah.. Don't suppose you know anyone else interested in this stuff? I'm trying to grow the club up. Anyways- Leylines, magical artifacts, otherworldly energies, supernatural defense... Any of these could be valuable. We could spend the time here discussing them if ya want?" It wasn't much of an effective shroud for his supernatural identity if membership was limited. And with multiple minds here, the opportunity to learn not just of the occult- but of academic, scientific, maybe even medicinal and constructive levels- would grow.

Haha sorry accidentally posted as Cole. Don't think two of the same player characters can interact in a shard?

11. Likes Origins liked this post
    Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Mein:

Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Circe Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Exorcisms? She'd said herbs and spices. Circe shakes her head, "Nah man. Like salt, garlic, sage, and wolfs bane. Herbs and spices, well not the last one, at least I think ya don't eat it," you very much did not. Then Circe gave a thumbs up, "Oh, plus iron and silver," she takes out a print out from a website listing various plants and metals with their uses in legend. Plus a supposed map of the California ley lines. She didn't believe in leylines so good thing to send the mundy after. The Larcenist holds up the last, giving the paper a shake before putting it down, "And laid lines according ta the Internet."

She snorts in amusement at the acronym, "Easily man, ya'd probably find it in a museum. But if ECO is fer stuff chargin' an object then we'd need LECO too. Fer Legendary Charged Objects. Just in case legends do effect shit. I won't LECO o' this label," Circe giggles out the horrid pun. She still takes out her own notepaper and pen from the folio to take notes. "Ya know if ya can figure out the detection system ya could like go see that French King's sword and scan it. Assumin' the Frenchies let ya."

And Other? Why not just call it magic? Circe quirk's a blonde eyebrow at as she reacts, "Other is a lil' confusin' and Wyr," then hiccups, "Ahem, sorry. Weird soundin'. I'd prefer Juju but," she shrugs "I just think its fun ta say. I mean," Circe starts talking with her hands again, "Other. Oooother. Then juju. Yeah," the woman nods with a smile, "Way more fun ta say juju."

"Hmmm,"
    she thinks on it, "I know a dude but I think he's busy today so," Circe shakes her head in the negative in Nathan's hopes for more people. Though there was also the Autumns. "I think defense and artifacts would be the best options. I mean, no point pokin' the bear if yer only gonna get mauled by it," she laughs.

And if Natahn did happen to poke something he shouldn't, defenses would help him survive long enough to warn those that actually could do something about it. Unless he ran afoul of a Keeper. Then Circe was fairly sure Nathan would be screwed.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

At the mention of wolsbane Nathaniel had to once more clear his throat. Not... Not something Nathaniel was keen to get near. And silver? No, no that was... That was normal.

"Silver has many useful er.. Applications in legends. It's thought to be a purifying substance- I think it cleans up bacteria or something in real life? That's probably where it started. Anyways, silver might be able to affect ghosts or demons in a similar manner..." If it worked on werewolves, why not?

"Though why iron? I know a few legends mention it, but given the widespread application of it in cities and such anything "Other" that it could affect would no doubt be extremely stifled yes?..." Sometimes Nathaniel could smell the stuff, in factory areas and old mines, when he had changed and his senses sharpened. It wasn't pleasant.

Then the idea of scanning. "Not sure how we'd detect it. A bunch of energy scanning thingamabobs, like I theorized- though that alone might not be enough. Maybe conditions need to be met? Otherwise the museums that house these LECOs would probably have found out by now right?" Unless the museums were in on it. Though that seemed TOO conspiratorial- more likely that they needed proper activation like Trifles or Fetches did. Perhaps an application of essence? Things to experiment with.

"Juju sounds good- flashier, definitely. But for the official stuff I like the acronyms or whatever. Makes it sound professional, academic. Gives a smidge more credibility for the... er... non-occult-minded." Specific systems in place to conduct research. To conduct tests.

"As for magical items. It seems to me the easiest thing to do would bring in a bunch of things to scan energies and waves or whatever, and use them on something that might be 'Charged'. The scanning thing should be easy, maybe a bit expensive. Finding something magical might be a bit trickier... We could also use specific substances and see how those work, see if that might spark something?" Some rituals had specific needs- no reason anything Other wouldn't as well.

"And on the matter of substances- no way to test what works as a defense, right? Not without experience I mean. So the better bet is probably going to be Brute Forcing the system. Take anything that might be used defensively, mix it into something singular, and use that. Salt, herbs, sugar, bits of iron. Anything that might be remotely defensive- grind them up and hope for the best. Until we can narrow down the specifics of what we're defending against, we should go for quantity." Spirits required stimulants and depressants in summoning, and some rituals could specifically ward against them- there was precedence. Though Nathaniel wasn't quite versed on any items capable of specifically warding against them.

"I can bring a bunch of substances to the next meeting, grind them up and make something. We could also do the energy tests, though we'd need a target to scan? I don't think a museum would let us." Plans for the future.

"I'll do some more research on leylines- I admit I'm not quite versed in that occult field. Ummm what about you? Any suggestions for next meeting? OH! Not that I'm saying you have to come, just saying. I do this every few weeks, same time, same place." Making this work would be a worthy investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread